36th Chapter: TRAPPED

Zhan turned to gaze at the man whose outline is gradually disappearing from his sight. For some strange reasons in which he couldn't discern, what Yibo uttered just now to him had somewhat made him feel scared, the emotion he had never felt for a long time. The sudden feeling of dread and disquietude silenced his anger for a moment, replacing it with questions and worry. Moreso, being near to Yibo even for just a minute, gave him the chance to scan the man's appearance fully, which made him discover how frail and darker the other had become. He didn't notice it when he saw him in the cemetery, or when they were in his apartment, probably because he was too focused on his grievance towards him rather than what he looked like after all those years. He simply didn't care. But, now that he had caught a glimpse of it, a small amount of remorse inhabited him.

Was I too much? He questioned himself, taking his eyes away from the now empty hallway. He then stepped inside and ambled towards Yuta's altar, where he similarly performed what Yibo has done moments ago before he disturbed him. Lit an incense, kneeled and prayed solemnly; for Yuta's soul, also, for clarity and peace of mind. He begged for it to his best friend, asking for him to give him a sign from the heavens, the strength for him to let go of his quarrelling emotions.

Zhan took his time, not knowing that the party had already begun. He was too immersed in his prayers that he didn't hear the door open behind him. It was Yubin, who had ready circled the whole house looking for him. Zhan huffed when a hand landed on his shoulder and annoyingly looked up to see who it was.

"I've been looking for you since forever.."

The impatient man implored, hands placed on both hips. But, the sensitive one only tossed his eyes at him, then sighed and stood up from his place.

"I was praying.."

"I think Yuta heard you enough. Keiko's looking for you. Let's go.."

Yubin walked out of the room, not waiting for Zhan thinking that he will follow him. However, Zhan remained to stare at his deceased friend's photograph, in wonder if Yuta heard his prayers the first time.

"Anything, Yuta

"Anything, Yuta. Just give me anything, something to hold on to.."

Then the voice behind him returned, making him jerk in surprise.

"Zhan, come on..! They're waiting for you.."

"Okay. I'm coming. Geez..!"

When both stepped out of the house, Zhan saw Yibo sitting alone at the far end of the yard, busy fidgeting in his phone, while Haikuan and Cheng settled one table apart from him. He then walked to the front to sit with Mei, Yubin and Yuta's mother, but, would sometimes glance at the man whose eyes are far away and is without interest. He doesn't know what to feel; pity or to be displeased. Mei noticed Zhan going around his chair, which seemed uncomfortable and all while peeking back and forth. Narrowing, she looked in the direction where Zhan was glimpsing and shook her head when she realized who Zhan was looking at. She smiled inwardly and tapped the man's shoulder. Zhan gaped at Mei who was looking at him with her brow raised.