Part 34: Melissa Shield

IN THE DINER

After our plates arrived, we started to enjoy our meals. Melissa was amazed just by how good it was since on the island, she would always eat sandwiches that she made. Every bite she took her eyes sparkled like if she was a kid still. It was nice to see her enjoy herself but the reason we met was because of 2 things. 1 is so I could give her a quirk and 2 is to see if she'll be useful in the future which I have no doubt that she will be.

While we ate, I could feel a gaze or more specifically gazes on us but wherever they were, they were too far for me to use Awareness or they were too blended in the packed diner making it hard to pinpoint them. Now I had to keep Melissa busy while also watching our surroundings for any suspicious activity.

'For now, I'll just see how capable she is'

"Melissa, how many inventions or gadgets have you created originally?"

"My originals? I'd say about 65"

'Wow. Impressive'

"And how many are being used by real time heroes?"

"Well actually none of them are" Melissa said kinda sad.

"Why's that?"

"It's because my inventions aren't good enough"

"Aren't good enough. Melissa that is very hard to believe"

"Thank you for saying so, but my inventions are actually (air quotes) improved upon rather than sent straight to manufacture"

"Oh?"

"It is true that my inventions work but with the other scientists on the island who have more skills than I do and have been doing this kind of thing for years, they take my inventions and make them better to the point where it's not my original piece anymore"

"That sounds like stealing Melissa. Haven't you tried to stop them before?"

"I have but the results are always highly considered and they produce better results than I do. Even my dad can't do anything about it when everything says that they can do better"

"That's a shame, so not even my mask is original?"

"Actually, your mask is the only original piece that is being used"

"Really? So they couldn't improve it?"

"Actually," Melissa whispered," I had to sneak it out. Sorry, but I really didn't want them meddling with something specially for you"

"Haha! Melissa that was very brave of you"

"Shhh!" Melissa jokingly shushed me.

"I'm happy the mask was only touched by you. It was perfect"

"Thank you Snowsashi! I really wanted to make it as perfect as it could be"

"I think you did just that"

We both laughed and continued to talk about inventions as we ate our food. So far what I had gathered was that she was an excellent inventor but is just being suppressed by other scientists. It was sad to hear that talent like hers is being overlooked and 'improved' upon but now that makes it a little more easier to get her on my side.

"Melissa, how many gadgets could you make if you had enough resources?"

"How many? Snowsashi, you really want to know how capable I am huh?"

"I do want to see where you'll go in the future and with your skills, I just can't help but imagine"

"Yayaya, okay Snowsashi. If I had all the resources in the world, I could probably make 20 in 3 hours"