🐾 REALIZATION

CHAPTER 9

Everyone cheers as me as Jungkook look to one another and head up together to the podium to make our valedictorian's speech to our graduating class.

We watch one another as we both speak, proud for each other and everyone cheers as we finish. He looks to me before I can walk off and pulls me in for a hug, cheers and swoons erupting from everybody.

"I'm proud of you. Congratulations, Y/n." He whispers.

"Thank you, I'm proud of you too, Jungkook. I'm glad we could be valedictorians together." I grin as we pull away.

We walk off, everyone now finding their parents and friends to talk and take photos with as they come down from the bleachers to us. Jin runs to me and hugs me tight, picking me up in the process.

"Jin! You're going to suffocate me!" I giggle as he lowers me back down.

"I'm so happy for you, I'm so proud!" He says, practically about to combust from all of his excitement.

We take a bunch of photos together and then I walk around, getting photos with friends. I turn around when I feel a hand on my shoulder.

"Could we get a photo?" Jungkook asks, a slight grin on his face as if he's trying to hide his smile and I laugh.

"Of course, come here." I give my phone to Jin who winks at me and I roll my eyes.

We pose close to one another, his arm bent and resting slack on my shoulder because of our funny hight difference since I'm not wearing heels like usual. We smile, holding up our diplomas with our outside hands and Jin snaps some photos.

"Perfect!" Jin grins, handing me the phone and Jungkook leans over my shoulder from behind to see the pictures as I swipe through them.

"Here, I'll give you my number so that you can send them to me." He says, taking my phone and putting his number in it, labeling it as "super sexy smart guy" with a bunch of emojis.

Great

"I didn't even introduce myself! I apologize, I'm Kim Seokjin, Y/n's older brother. Just call me Jin." My brother holds a hand out to Jungkook and he shakes it.

"I'm Jeon Jungkook, I live next door to you as well." He makes conversation with my brother before Jin walks off to pull the car around since we plan to leave soon.

"By the way," Jungkook furrows his brow, "are your parents here, Y/n? I just realized I haven't seen them yet... it must be nice to have family see you graduate." He asks, his jealousy going undetected as he glances down to his feet with a straight face.

"My parents?" I look to him, my face dropping and I sigh when he nods.

"Oh... they've passed away actually. A long time ago." I rub the back of my neck, softly smiling to him as he looks up to me.

"What? I mean I just... didn't know. I'm so sorry." His heart swells with guilt, confusion setting in as he realizes he's been angry and jealous over parents I didn't even have.

"Do you mind me asking when? I just had no clue..." He awkwardly looks down.

"It's okay to ask stuff like that, I don't mind at all." I smile, "It was in eighth grade when they got in a bad car accident. I found out at school and it was rough but I have Jin and we're doing amazing now living on our own." I explain to him, remembering my parents and the day I had found out.

Jungkook freezes up and I can't read his expression. I can tell something is wrong but assume he just feels sorry for me.

I remember trying to tell him that day right after I had gotten the call from Jin, he had acted in such a mean way that it still confuses me to this day. He didn't even let me get a word out before telling me to "go cry about it to my parents".

I grew to hate him after that had happened, but that hate is almost gone now. It's not like he knew when he had said it how heartbreakingly ironic it was but I disliked him either way because of the way he's hated me since then too without any reason.

But let's not dwell on the past.

"I'm... so sorry." He practically whispers and I can tell tears are threatening to fall so I pull him in for a surprising hug and he tenses up but allows me.

"It's okay, that was the past. We're here now and happy." I squeeze his shoulder comfortingly and he smiles back.

A group of loud guys walk to us and my mood immediately changes.

"Hey! Come join us Jungkook, we're taking a video of us throwing our caps!" His group of friends try to drag him over with them to where they were going to record.

"I- wait guys, I actually can't because... I just-" Jungkook stutters out, trying to find an excuse and I jump between them, understanding why he can't throw his cap.

"Actually the principal wanted to talk to us. Valedictorian things." I smile to his annoying friends and grab Jungkook's wrist while walking off.

"That was close." I sigh.

"Thank you, that would've been bad." He nervously laughs.

Jin pulls up with his car and waves me over.

"I guess I'll see you at home then, text me if anything... happens." I refer to what had last happened with those guys who had beaten him up months ago.

He nods and we smile to one another, both waving goodbye as I get in the car and Jin drives off.

Now that everything is going so well, the last thing I expected was to get a text, that text, from Jungkook only days later.

____________________________

DUN DUN DUNNNNNN

AH i'm so excited for the next chapters and to get into the core of this book!