Chapter 14: Race Four

Race days were good, but when it was a warm and sunny day in Imola, it was even better. Emilia would have loved to be spectating the race; getting a nice tan while watching what looked to be an enjoyable race with the Williams starting third and fourth – ahead of the Red Bulls and McLarens. Alas, Emilia was not able to sit back and watch the race, she was participating in it. There would be tomorrow to sun bathe and take in the nice weather before travelling back to England where they would get a week off before voyaging to Spain. Spain would be another sun-bathing opportunity with the hot weather and also a chance for a podium – like todays was.

The team specified that they didn't require a podium out of this race but Emilia felt pressure on her to get several points. There was a large expectation that a podium needed to come out of this race or Spain's race from either driver for them to stay in front of their competitors. These two tracks would be some of their best and they needed to take these opportunities and take away many points.

"How we feeling this morning?" Christine asked cheerily as she entered the room. Emilia was about to start her warm up having had an early lunch. There would be no time after the warm up as she would be needed in the garage and then in the car. An early lunch would have been wonderful if she wasn't so nervous she couldn't eat. Though, this was a regular occurrence. She was sure other drivers had difficulty stomaching a meal before they jumped in the car.

"Good, you?" Emilia wasn't good but the other nineteen drivers weren't good either probably struggling with nerves or pressure. Well apart from Kimi, he never seemed to let the anything get in his way.

"Yeah, ready to get started?" Emilia huffed and got up. The warm up was quick and time flew before Aurelia popped her head in saying she was needed in the garage. Emilia put on her cap and sunglasses before leaving her driver room.

The atmosphere in the garage was incredibly wild and excited. It was busy with people running around making last minute changes to the setup of the cars. Emilia greeted the ones that weren't occupied and carried on through the garage to the pit wall where Jost and Simon were sitting. Emilia fist bumped the CEO and Team Principal.

"Gonna get a good tan out here." Emilia observed. 

"Yeah, watch you don't burn." Jost laughed.

"I'll be in a race suit so I can't imagine I'll be the one getting burnt." Emilia defended. "Unless I set the car on fire."

"Morning." George greeted as he strolled over. He appeared pretty calm for saying they were racing in under an hour.

"Gonna get some big points today?" Jost questioned but it wasn't so much of a question more of a command.

"Hopefully." Emilia squeaked. "We just need to drive and then go from there." The mini pep talk was more for herself than the other men surrounding her.

"Yep. I'm sure you'll both do amazing." Simon smiled evidently excited.

"Now you've said that we're going to crash going into turn one." George mentioned. They all laughed awkwardly as they knew how catastrophic it would be if that happened.

"Talking of crashes. I want a clean race from both of you." Jost's tone grew serious as he lectured the drivers. He knew they knew it already but Jost wanted to re-establish it so it was very clear. "No penalties, no dirty driving and no crashing into other drivers on purpose. The last thing I want is penalty points for both of you especially you George." George avoided the CEO's eyes having mounted up quite a few for ignoring double yellows in the previous year. "Am I understood?" Both drivers nodded.

Emilia was into her car afterwards and was feeling ready. She was thinking this could be the last race she got into the car not having a podium. The thought was exciting but she needed to control it as well as manage her adrenaline.