Chapter 46

The call to Jost the next morning was something Emilia had avoided. She had a new phone that Lando had bought her before he and the others left to go to work. They didn't want to her leave her but she assured them she would be fine. George promised not to say anything as Emilia knew it would sound even worse if it came from him. She suspected he would be mad at her so she was evading phoning him. In all fairness, she was mad at herself. She didn't show it but Emilia was angry she hadn't paid more attention because surely she should have heard the car coming.

It had taken Emilia so long to call Jost that he had ended up noticing her absence and phoned her. She hesitated picking the call up but knew she had to. George must have given Jost her new number but she hoped he hadn't explained the situation.

"Emilia where are you? You have been missing all morning and haven't called in sick or anything. You have got to be more punctual." Jost sounded really annoyed.

"Where am I?"

"Yes!" Jost responded agitated.

"Well I had a little incident and I'm sort of in hospital." Emilia quietly admitted. She was worried Jost was going to blow up.

"Oh fuck. Are you doing okay?" Jost asked worried. Emilia hadn't expected her health to be his first concern. Maybe she'd misjudged him.

"Uh I'm not really in racing condition so no." Emilia replied.

"Oh what happened?" Emilia had been concerned that racing would be Jost's priority but he seemed genuinely anxious about the car crash.

"Someone crashed into me."

"Scheiße. Wann kannst du wieder Rennen fahren?" Jost switched to German in frustration forgetting that his driver couldn't speak his native language.

"Jost seriously, ich verstehe keine Deutsch." Emilia told him the only German she knew which ironically meant that she couldn't understand German.

"I'm sorry I forgot. When can you race?"

"Spa providing I heal properly."

"Ah yes we have the summer break. Well that's a good thing because it gives you time to heal. Will you still be allowed to go on holiday?"

"Yeah should be able to." Emilia responded. She was surprised how Jost wasn't blaming her for crashing though when it was on track, it was costing him lots of money and points that could be valuable.

"That's good. Tell me what you've actually broken." Jost requested. Emilia informed that she hadn't broken anything and went through her injuries. "Emilia I am so sorry that sounds so painful."

"It's alright." Emilia answered trying to seem strong. She may not have any broken bones but she was fracturing inside.

"I apologise for getting angry at you at the beginning for not being here. You should have called earlier to tell me."

"Yeah I was worried you'd be angry at me for crashing." Emilia confessed.

"From what it sounds like there's nothing you could have done. Your safety and wellbeing is always my first concern even though it may not seem like it."

"Thank you Jost."

"No problem. Now go and rest up. When are you being discharged?" Jost questioned.

"Later today I think." Emilia replied. She'd been given that information shortly after the boys left.

"Okay, I will send George to pick you up because you seem like you're in no driving condition." Jost offered.

"Oh thank you." Lando had told her he would pick her up and leave his sponsor event that would take up most of the day. Emilia didn't want to interrupt his event especially if it was for a sponsor. Plus, she didn't want to me impolite and turn down Jost's offer because she was in no shape to driver herself back home. Emilia texted Lando that she would be picked up by George and his reply was blunt but he was working, she expected that.