Chapter 27: Race Eight

P8 was where Emilia qualified. It wasn't her best performance and not participating in both practice sessions on Friday definitely played a part in that. The weather was also poor in Canada with lots of rain dampening the track. Emilia usually excelled in the rain and maybe she had excelled this time meaning her performance, had the track been dry, would have been even worse.

George had also avoided her all Saturday. He seemed to be upset about her Thursday night. Aurelia as well was minimally speaking to her and Christine had expressed her disappointment several times but the girls had forgiven her now. Emilia had definitely learned her lesson.

The morning of the race was wet and miserable as it had been yesterday symbolising Emilia's mood perfectly. At least, once she'd done this race, she would be entitled to a week off. She really needed that.

"Emilia, please eat." Christine requested as Emilia had been pushing her food around her plate for a while now.

"I'm not hungry." The driver answered. She didn't feel particularly like eating as there was so much going through her head. She ate a bit more and Christine was satisfied with that so they left to warmup. Aurelia joined them in her driver room after a while informing Emilia of everything that had happened that morning. There wasn't anything dramatic that had taken place only a few drivers receiving grid penalties as they crashed their cars in qualifying. Emilia fortunately, was not one of those.

Once they'd finished Emilia's warmup, they headed to the garage. The encountered George on the way there going in the opposite direction. He completely avoided meeting Emilia's smile and she wasn't very happy with that. She grabbed his arm as he walked past.

"What is your issue?" Emilia questioned. She looked to her two friends next to her who took they hint and carried on to the garage.

"How can you ask me what my issue is?" George asked pretty hostilely. "You know perfectly well what my issue is."

"Me drinking." Emilia figured out. That was fair enough.

"How could you do that? You were even shocked when you got told you were missing practices. I can't believe you were so dangerous like that. You could have literally killed someone." George lectured. She knew he wasn't impressed but she didn't realise it was to this extent.

"George, I'm sorry." Emilia apologised. She didn't know what else to say because he was right.

"What happened? I know you're really sensible so why do it?" George's voice softened. Sensible was a bit of an exaggeration but Emilia knew what she should and shouldn't do. If she was sensible, she would have not done it because she knew it was wrong.

"Just a lot of stuff but that's not an excuse for doing it." Emilia replied.

"I'm disappointed Em." George sighed. Emilia couldn't meet his eyes.

"I don't blame you."

"Just don't do it again." George advised.

"Yeah I've learned my lesson." Emilia nodded.

George, losing his ability to be mad at Emilia, headed to the garage with her and they got ready for the race. Emilia's car looked fine and there were no alarming issues or any issues at all. George was the same with everything in his car looking good as well. It would hopefully be a good race where Williams could get lots of points.

Climbing in the car to drive out to the grid, she saw Jost watching her from the car. Once she was strapped in, he came over to speak to her. He covered his hand over his mouth as he spoke so only she could know what he was saying.