Chapter 36

Emilia's world stopped.

She couldn't breathe and leaned against the wall next to her for support. Her Grandad meant everything to her. Aurelia was talking to her and there was cheering in the background for the winner but it was all muted for Emilia. She could hear nothing but her heart. Her heart was fine, Fred's wasn't. She needed to get back to him.

"Emilia, pay attention." Aurelia gently requested. She understood that Emilia needed a moment but she also needed to get back to him as soon as possible.

"Why didn't they tell me during the race?" Emilia questioned. She couldn't cry, she was too shocked to.

"They wouldn't let me. You got the call from the hospital around lap ten and Jost wouldn't let John tell you because it would affect your performance. However, he organised a plane that is taking off as soon as you get to the airport." Aurelia pulled her driver up and dragged her out of the building. Emilia was still coming to terms with the news and needed someone to help her get to the airport. "Christine is waiting outside. I will pack up all your stuff and I'll tell Lando and George, they will be with you as soon as they can."

Aurelia was saying words but it was not registering in Emilia's head. They found Christine and Emilia ran through the paddock with her having only her phone in her hand and still wearing her driving suit. Her helmet and neck support had been given to Aurelia who would take it back to the garage.

Christine drove literally at the speed limit not braking unless she really had to and pulling off some overtakes that belonged on an F1 track. They arrived at the airport and quickly got through all of the security. It was a private jet they boarded and normally Emilia would have been pretty excited to get on as she rarely flew on them because it was expensive. It made flying a bit better for her. This time, Emilia was not enjoying boarding the smaller plane. Before take-off, she unzipped her racing suit and tied the arms round her waist.

Unsurprisingly, Emilia freaked out during take-off to the point that she had to hold Christine's hand. Her trainer smoothed her hair that was still a mess after taking off her helmet. They were leaning on each other, Emilia more than Christine, as the sound of the plane filled the silence.

What sucked even more was that Emilia had had a good race. She needed solid points to make up for the last few races, which she got. Emilia had finished P5, ahead of George and made some impressive overtakes. She couldn't want much more from that race. Obviously, a podium would have been nice but unless it was a crazy race, that was never going to happen. Emilia didn't have the pace to get a trophy in Austria and that was okay, she performed her best and came out with a brilliant result. Although, the fact that she had to jump on a plane back to the UK discarded her race result.

"Do you want me to talk to you?" Christine asked and Emilia blankly nodded. She couldn't feel anything but fear. She was praying he was alive. Her nail varnish was chipped from where she was biting her nails. By the time they would get back to London, it would all be gone. "Do you want to talk about the race?"

"Yeah." Emilia hoarsely answered. Christine's words were taking a moment to register. It was like her brain had almost shut down. Maybe from shock, it did. Christine was talking about the race telling her about all the overtakes and battles that Emilia didn't see or know about. The driver tried to focus on what Christine was saying so she was distracted but it didn't work very well. All she could think about was her Grandad alone. "I can't lose him." Emilia said finally beginning to cry. Christine had finished talking so Emilia wasn't interrupting anything other than the roar of the engine.

"Oh Em." Christine pulled her in tight for a hug rubbing her back. "I honestly have no idea what to say other than at least you didn't have to do media duties after the race." Emilia let out a small chuckle smiling as she wiped her tears with the sleeve of her race suit.