Chapter 66

itsbitchee made me post early because it's McLaren launch day. There will be another chapter on Monday :)

Singapore at night was beautiful. Emilia loved it. However, she didn't love the jetlag. That wasn't as much fun. Especially as Emilia needed sleep to be able to race well. This reflected on her Friday practice times as they had not been at the level they should have which was frustrating because Emilia knew she had the pace.

The best part of Emilia's week had been finding John in the garage on Thursday. Jost had given him the job back after Emilia's win. So it had not just been her career on the line, it had been her engineer's as well. Emilia was thrilled to be with John for the rest of the season.

Winning a race had changed Emilia but only in positive ways. Her presence had become a lot stronger and she was more confident in herself. She wasn't arrogant only she had extra self-assurance. Surely that would make her faster? Well her Friday laps disagreed so Emilia had to pull it together in qualifying.

Christine accompanied Emilia into the paddock that morning and both of them were laughing about an experience that Christine had with a girl in the club earlier in the week. The two of them had been partying hard to celebrate their hard work every day up to Friday when Emilia actually had to work.

Emilia spotted Mick outside the Haas garage on his phone and she glanced to Christine who nodded. Christine continued walking to the Williams building while Emilia stopped to talk to the Haas driver.

"Hey." Emilia greeted. Mick looked up from his phone and smiled at her putting his phone in his pocket.

"Hungover?" Mick teased.

"Nope. Last night was good fun." Emilia answered. "It was nice for it not to end in sex for once."

"Hmm yeah." Mick replied looking around.

"Are you free tonight? Do you want to grab drinks together?" Emilia asked. Mick never gave an answer as someone came out the Haas building behind them. It was Justine. She joined the conversation standing next to Mick.

"Emilia this is Justine. Justine, Emilia." Mick introduced.

"Hi, Mick has said so many nice things about you." Justine stated as she went to hug Emilia. Emilia didn't expect the hug but that was the least confusing thing. The Williams driver's emotions were like a muddy puddle – unclear.

"I've heard loads about you too. Mick does not stop talking about you." Emilia responded truthfully smiling.

"Congrats on your win last week!" Justine smiled and Emilia thanked her. "We were just going to grab some food; do you want to come?"

"Uh I have stuff to do in the garage but I'd love to another time." Emilia did not want to third wheel this especially as Mick was her ex whom she'd been sleeping with these past few weeks.

"That's a shame." Justine sighed. Emilia didn't spot any sarcasm or joy in her voice indicating that it wasn't a shame. "Mick you coming?"

"Yeah I'll just be a second with Em. You know what I like, order me whatever." Mick replied. Justine nodded and walked off down the paddock.

"I know you said she was nice but she's literally perfect. The fuck have you been doing sleeping around with me when you could have been with her?" Emilia scolded.

"You're not mad at me?"

"Mad? Why would I be mad? I'm happy that you managed to get your shit together." Emilia patted him on the shoulder. She definitely wasn't mad but she was jealous. Not jealous of Justine being with Mick. Jealous that they could work it out and still be together. Her and Lando were struggling with that. Or were they even trying at all?