Chapter 73

"I think the carrots are burning. Lando come help me." Alex ushered himself and Lando out of the room leaving a stunned Emilia with her teammate.

"You really didn't see it." George realised.

"Wait, since when? Why?" Emilia questioned still slightly unsure what she had heard. How had she not noticed that?

"Pretty much the first day you came to Williams. Why? I mean that's fairly self-explanatory." George chuckled.

"But you were with Carmen then."

"That's why I had to break up with her." George explained.

"I caused your breakup? No George that's not okay, go and get back with her." Emilia stood up as if she was going to send George out the house to go and profess his love for someone else.

"Em no I don't want to get back with her and it's certainly not your fault. I just realised I shouldn't feel how I do about you and be with Carmen, that's not fair on her. She deserves better than that." George stood up placing his hands on Emilia's shoulders.

"But then why haven't you spoken to me in these last few weeks? That doesn't make sense." Emilia asked looking up to her teammate.

"Because I was mad that you'll never love me which is so unreasonable from my part."

"I'm so sorry." Emilia apologised.

"Em, you have nothing to apologise for, I promise." George smiled moving wisps hair out of her face. "You make every day a good day by simply being at the track. If I have a bad qualifying, it's all erased by seeing you smile." Emilia had no idea what to say, what to feel. Obviously, there was no way she could love George the way he loved her. "Don't feel bad." The Williams driver said reading his teammate's face.

"How can I not?"

"I've known for a while you don't love me, so I'm okay with it. Plus, if you were with me, you wouldn't be happy and that's definitely what I don't want. We should just continue being friends and pretend I never said anything because it doesn't change anything. We can't be together but we can be friends." George smiled but Emilia could see the pain in his eyes.

"Are you sure you're okay with that?"

"I am if you are."

"Yeah I think so." Emilia nodded.

"Sorry to interrupt guys but dinner's ready." Alex stuck his head through the door. Emilia was nervous for Lando's reaction to George's revelation.

"I'd be mad but there's nothing to be to be mad for. I can't blame you for loving Em." Lando smiled and hugged George.

"I never knew how to tell you but I think you already knew." George answered.

"So everyone knew but me?" Emilia asked.

"No, I told you several times but you didn't believe me." Lando stated. "Like he even took you on a date in Canada how did you miss that?"

"I don't know, I didn't see it like that." Emilia contemplated acknowledging that technically it was a date.

"I have to respect you though mate. As much as I complained to Em and I was worried you never made a move when we were together. I appreciate that." Lando hugged George again. Emilia felt proud that their mission to get George and Lando at least speaking had been successful.

"Food's getting cold, do you want to hurry up with the bromance?" Emilia complained. The four of them were back to where they were beforehand apart from the fact that Lando and Emilia weren't on the same page in terms of their relationship but they could still pretend to be friends for that moment.