Chapter 58

The last race in the triple header was Monza which was one of everyone's favourite. Everyone liked racing at the Temple of Speed because it was so fast. It was also a lot less driving and steering with there being many straights and a few chicanes. That meant it was physically less demanding as the corners was where the highest g-forces were experienced. Though, that didn't mean it was going to be an easy race, those didn't exist.

Unintentionally, Emilia met George at the entrance of the paddock. The two drivers strolled ahead chatting as they headed towards their garage. Behind her, Christine, Aurelia and Aleix were engaged in a conversation.

"How did it go with Lando on Sunday?" George questioned. The question caught Emilia off guard. Clearly he wasn't up for small talk about the weather or the food or something.

"Yeah great thanks. We broke up and I ended up in Mick's bed the next morning." Emilia responded without expression in her voice.

"How did that happen?" George enquired.

"He found me, we chatted, we drank, we swam in the sea, we went back to his room. I'm sure you don't want more details than that." Emilia replied.

"I didn't realise you and Mick were close." George commented.

"We dated in F2 but the championship got in our way. We were fighting on track and it affected our relationship off track so we decided to break up before the relationship got toxic like it did with the engineer we saw on Saturday. He was also the one to tell Lando I cheated on him but I'm not going to speak to him, he's no longer part of my life." Emilia explained. George didn't seem to have a response to that. "Anyway I decided to create a helmet design and I got it sent off to be made and I'm going to wear it the race weekend after I've sorted next season out as like a reward for myself. I really like the design."

"What's the design?" George asked.

"You'll have to wait and see and hopefully not too long." Emilia smiled. "I think I've had two strong weekends so I should get that contract offer soon."

"I don't see why they haven't already given it to you. You've been amazing the past two races and it's not your fault you didn't win either of them."

"Holland I couldn't keep up with Max and Lewis." Emilia reminded. She didn't mind talking about her failures because she was aware that they weren't her fault really. There's nothing she would have done different in those situations and she was now more motivated than ever to win.

"True but the car isn't fast enough, that's not your fault." George answered. "We've got another Head to Head later haven't we?"

"Yeah I think we're making pizzas." Emilia replied as George opened the door for her to enter the building. They greeted everyone there and went into the garage together. When they got in there, Emilia grabbed George's arm. She kept her eyes forward looking at someone who made eye contact with her. His eyes widened and a smile grew on his face. Emilia's face did not grow a smile. It took a second for George to work out who it was.

"Emilia great to see you!" He greeted leaving his conversation to walk over to the driver. Emilia let go of George's arm not intentionally holding it.

"What the fuck are you doing here Richard?" Emilia asked impolitely. She had no time for patience with this man.

"I'm sure you're aware that John got fired last week so I'm here as his replacement. I'm your new race engineer." Emilia's ex revealed grinning. Five minutes ago, she had just been saying this man was no longer part of her life and somehow he'd worked her way back in it.

"Seriously?" Emilia enquired.

"Permanent replacement." Richard answered. He was enjoying this encounter too much for Emilia's liking.