Chapter 83

"Please pick up." Emilia said positioning her phone on her massage table. The call connected. "Hey Christine, I have a surprise."

"Emilia you have practice in thirty minutes why aren't you warming up?" Christine answered.

"Yeah I will do, it in a minute, but you have to see what I need to show you." Emilia replied grabbing a bag and bringing it over the to massage table so Christine could see. "It's only a small thing and it's the least I could do to support you." Emilia unzipped the bag lifting out a glittery helmet with the transgender flag on.

"Emilia that's so sweet you're going to make me cry." Christine put her hand over her mouth. "Thank you so much. I can't tell you how much this means."

"It even has glitter on. I don't know if you can see it but I added glitter for you." Emilia stated holding the helmet up close to the camera. The glitter was the designer's idea. This designer was the same one that did Lewis' so the two helmets complimented each other nicely.

"It looks so pretty. Thank you so much." Christine answered.

"I just wanted to show you before you saw it on TV in about twenty-five minutes." Emilia checked her watch. She needed to do some preparation before the session.

"I really appreciate it Emilia, thank you but please go and warm up. I don't want you complaining of a sore neck next week. And how's your ankle?"

"Swelling has mostly gone so it'll be fine. I was cleared to race so it's all good. Same for Lando." Emilia responded. Telling Jost about her trip on the stairs was not a fun experience.

"Good, I'm glad. Go warm up, I'll chat to you after the session." Christine said and hung up after saying goodbye. Emilia found her replacement trainer and warmed up with him before jumping into the car.

Practice one went well for Williams. Emilia had no problems with her ankle thankfully though practice was nowhere near as vigorous as a race. At the end of the session, after Emilia had done her practice start John came onto the radio.

"So Emilia you were fastest in that session. You were P1." John informed.

"Does that mean I have the track record?" Emilia asked. This was an entirely new circuit so no F1 car had been on it previously. F2 cars had been on track that morning but they were nowhere near as fast.

"Yes it does, for a couple of hours until FP2."

"Well I'll just have to do it again in a couple of hours then." Emilia answered. She was feeling confident which was good because she expected her racing mentality to falter after Brazil's performance but she was hoping she could Toto's encouragement to good use.

Between practices, Emilia sat in George's driver room eating lunch. They chose to sit inside where they could talk more openly rather than sitting outside in the paddock and having to keep their mouths shut.

"You can definitely see the team distancing themselves from us now." George commented shoving leafy greens into his mouth.

"I know. Well, Jost has been distancing himself from me since like April." Emilia joked. "It's crazy though. We spend a year with them, or three for you, with everyone putting all their sweat and tears onto this job then they just move on to another pair of drivers. It'll be like we were never here."

"Some teams don't forget though. Red Bull will never forget Seb. I imagine Lewis will be the same when he leaves Mercedes." George replied.

"When do you think Lewis will leave?" Emilia asked knowing of the possibility of Lewis leaving at the end of the season.