Chapter 68

yeah ik this chapter is early but I couldn't wait, you're welcome :)

Emilia had never been arrested before that night. Let alone in a foreign country. She had fucked up. Big time. Her head throbbed massively. She'd made a big mistake.

Leaving Alfa Romeo, Emilia held it together as she walked to Mercedes with Toto. The Team Principal hadn't even closed the door properly when Emilia started crying. She put her face in her hands and sobbed. Her career in Formula 1 was over.

That helmet Emilia designed and got made for when her future was decided, would never be worn. She could wear it in Abu Dhabi or before that but it wouldn't be worn with her next season in Formula 1 sorted.

Toto sat down beside her and hugged her. He felt awful for Emilia being put in this position so early on in her career. He'd helped her as much as he could but he couldn't invent seats out of thin air neither could he give Emilia one of his as both of his drivers had contracts.

"Emilia you did the right thing." Toto assured. Emilia looked up at him wiping her eyes. She did not appear to share the same thoughts. "Contract negotiations usually last for weeks. Alfa were not willing to fight for you and they just accepted defeat without trying to reason with you. You want a team who will fight for you."

"But there's no one who wants to fight for me." Emilia responded.

"I want to fight for you. Mercedes does but it's unfortunate there's so few seats. If there was a third seat, I wouldn't even have to think about who goes in it." Toto said.

"There is a third seat. Reserve driver." Emilia replied.

"Yes that is true but you have other things to look forward to. There's that WEC contract you said you were excited to sign last night." Toto pointed out.

"I don't care about that anymore." Emilia huffed.

"If you want to go back to Alfa and sign their contract, I'll come with you." Toto offered.

"No I don't want to sign that contract."

"What is it you want? What can I do to help?" Toto asked.

"Nothing." Emilia cried. "I want an unrealistic option. One where I'm going to drive for a good team with a multi-year contract so my future is sorted. I want to show that contract to my Grandad and him be proud of me and I want to be with Lando again. I know what you're going to say, I know that doesn't exist. I know that life's shit, this year has been so up and down but I want everything to settle yet there's only more and more uncertainty coming into it. It sucks." Toto frowned and hugged Emilia again not worrying about his shirt getting wet from her tears.

"Emilia it will all resolve itself. You've had an unluckily bad year which is through not fault of your own. Most people would have quit by now but you're still here. I promise you, you will get another chance in Formula 1." Toto knew he couldn't promise something like that even owning a Formula 1 team but he had to give Emilia some comfort that her life wasn't falling apart completely.

"It's going to get better?" Emilia asked.

"Of course it will. It always does." Toto meant that.

Emilia remembered that conversation clearly. She thought about not being in Formula 1 again and didn't feel like crying. Maybe that was because she had much bigger problems sitting in a cell. Her memory was slightly fuzzy after that. Probably due to the massive headache she had. Or the alcohol.

Emilia sat on her bed not wanting to do anything except feel sorry for herself. Her stash of chocolate she'd brought had been depleted the night before so that only left alcohol. But Emilia didn't really feel like drinking. She knew she'd make some bad decisions if she did. Her phone rang with Daniel's name appearing on the screen.