Chapter 40

Emilia went back to work on the Monday. She and George had a chat and sorted everything out so they were all good going into race week. Emilia worked herself hard to make up for the hours she had missed last week. She spent all the time she could on the sim. Obviously, she had to share with George who also wanted to be as ready as he could be for the race but the sim enabled Emilia to focus on racing rather than Fred's death which had undeniably hit her now.

"I know it sucks but I can't get you out of this one. I would lose my job if we went and got ice cream instead. At least this press conference will be with more than one person so the attention won't be on you as much. Saying that, this is your first home Grand Prix in F1 and you are still the only female driver meaning the attention will be on you more than the average person." Aurelia informed. It was Thursday and Emilia had avoided most of her media duties but according to Aurelia this one was essential. "Right you know what not to say but we'll just run through it anyway. No talk about George next year, your relationship with a certain driver, don't say the car is illegal or convince them that it is, no inappropriate comments and no flirting with any of them." Emilia had created the latter one herself and needed Aurelia to remind her that she was friends with Lando for now otherwise he would be mad at her for exposing them; Emilia had enough going on, she didn't need that as well.

"Who's in this press conference again?" Emilia asked. Aurelia had told her previously but she wasn't fully with it and still wasn't. She needed to focus on answering the questions that they would give her but she couldn't help but think that the paddock seemed empty. Of course it did to her, it was missing someone.

"Lando, George, Lewis and Max so there's five of you." Aurelia informed the Williams driver. "Are you okay to do this? If you want to ditch it and get food we can."

"No it's fine. I can do this." Emilia responded as she arrived at the building. Lando and George were waiting outside already.

"You're doing a press conference?" George questioned with his eyebrows raised.

"If I can beat all your arses in karting then I can certainly do a press conference." Emilia shrugged smugly. She managed to stick a smile on her face and act different to how she felt so well she was convincing her teammate that she was fine. In the next few minutes, Lewis and Max arrived so they were allowed to enter the room. George was seated at the furthest end with Max next to him and Lewis in the middle then Lando and Emilia was on the end. If she could have chosen to sit next to anyone, it would be Lando. They hadn't even had the first question and Lando had already put his hand on Emilia's thigh. She looked at him and smiled. Their attention was drawn to someone who started speaking.

"First of all, let's just ask how are we all feeling going into this weekend and where are we aiming on finishing?"

"Win." Max replied.

"Win." Lewis answered as well.

"Win." George added further controversy into the equation.

"Win." Lando responded. They all looked to Emilia who was the last one to answer.

"I'm just hoping to get round the first corner without spinning out." Emilia laughed. She'd had issues with the first corner all week so her aim was to get past that without spinning herself or anyone off. Plus everyone else sitting on the table had got a win before, Emilia hadn't even got a podium and didn't believe that she would be able to achieve one this race. She didn't have to answer the next question as it went to Max and Lewis about competing for the title and then George about where he is driving next year which he cleverly answered not giving anything away.

"Question to all of you. How well do you get on with your teammates and who would you most want as your teammate? Start with you Max."

"Checo and I get on really well he's really funny and a nice guy but I would love to be teammates with Daniel again." Max responded.