Chapter 22 - "It's you"

Seven stood conflicted in the middle of the hallway. One direction would lead her through the kitchen and back towards her bedroom where she could crawl into the safety of her bed. The other would lead her to Natasha's room where she would be forced to talk to her mother.

Seven and Steve rode the whole journey back in silence. Seven spent the drive looking out at the moon, it was full tonight and Seven watched the illuminated shadows as they drove. 

The car eventually came to a stop and Seven was unsure of what to do, she looked over at Steve who was getting out of the car, grabbing his possessions and she did the same, checking for the ID card as well as the sunglasses in her pocket, the cap was still on her head. 

The two rode the elevator up in thick silence, both unsure of what else they could say, everything Steve needed to say had been said, the decision was with her now.

"Goodnight Seven, sleep well" Steve smiled as he stepped out of the elevator and immediately walked away to his room, almost as if he knew that ten minutes later she would still be in the hallway, trying to decide.

That was where Seven was at now, hopelessly trying to make sense of her scrambled thoughts that constantly swirled around In her mind. She glanced up at the clock on the wall, it read 9:36 pm which wasn't that late but some avengers had gone on a small mission today after Steve and herself had left, meaning that the rest of the team didn't really feel like doing anything but rest.

Natasha hadn't mentioned being one of the ones to go on the mission earlier but there was a good chance that she had gone anyway, meaning that Seven wouldn't be able to talk to her. If she was somewhere on a mission Seven wouldn't have to worry about talking to her or avoiding her and she wouldn't have to feel guilty about not telling her for another day. 

Deciding that the chances that Natasha was still here were low, Seven confidently turned away from the kitchen and began striding down the hallway to Natasha's room, knocking lightly when she arrived at the door.

Seven waited almost a minute as the hallway remained silent and Natasha's door remained closed in front of her face, causing relief to flood over her. Sighing happily she turned away from the door before hearing it creak slightly, causing her to swivel back round to come face to face with a surprised Natasha who had clearly been asleep just moments before. 

God's sake, always my luck. I should've just turned and ran back when I heard the door open. Is she waiting for me to say something? Should I say something? Am I starin-

"Seven? Are you okay?" She asked, rubbing her eyes.

"Oh- yeah, I didn't mean to wake you" She apologised sheepishly, "Sorry"

"It's okay, did you and Steve just get back?" Natasha looked above the door to where Seven presumed there was a clock.

"Yeah, I just wanted to talk to you about something" Seven admitted as she began to fiddle with her fingers, she was very nervous.

"Okay, do you want to come in?" Natasha asked while holding the door open slightly further so Seven could walk in.

Seven looked around the room, it was simple just like her own. Most decorations were black or shades of grey but what caught Seven's eye was the photo frames that sat on her dresser and Seven found herself wondering closer absent-mindedly.

There were several photos of the team altogether, all bunched up to fit in the frame but still smiling widely. There was one of Natasha with Clint and a few other people that she didn't recognize, all standing outside of a small house in the countryside. There was one of Peter, Tony and Bruce in the labs, holding up some sort of creation. Her favourite however was one of Natasha and Steve sleeping on the sofa, both looking extremely exhausted. She thought it was cute.