Chapter 40 - A new side to Romanoff

"Shouldn't they be back by now?" Tony asked nervously and glanced down at his watch.

"Relax, the address wasn't that close to here, plus they could have walked" Natasha sighed, she was getting annoyed at his constant worrying and him looking at his watch every other minute.

"Would someone like to explain why an emergency meeting was called? And why the kids aren't here?" Bruce questioned, getting all faces sat around the table to look at him.

"When we were questioning the HYDRA agents earlier we received a possible location for Ivan's whereabouts," Steve answered, standing up as normal.

"How'd you get that out of him?" Sam asked, an amused smirk painting his face.

"Nat threatened him and he cracked" Steve pointed at Natasha who smiled a little and nodded.

"And for the kids, Tony took Peter off the mission and Fury decided that Seven was too emotionally involved to help out"

"There's something you aren't saying" Bucky observed,  "Sorry" he apologised when receiving Steve's pointed look.

"Well, yes but-"

"Spit it out Rogers" Sam instructed and Steve sighed.

"She killed the agent her and Wanda were interrogating," Natasha answered for him, being blunt.

"Whoa, why?" Bruce asked, for a Russian agent Seven had always been pretty timid until now.

"She said it was because he yelled at Wanda and she flinched but they do have a history" Steve began again, placing a reassuring hand on Natasha's shoulder. 

The team was too interested in what Steve was saying to notice that Natasha allowed Steve to place his hand there and let it stay there or how she relaxed at the contact. 

"That's unlike her" Bruce commented.

"I don't know, we really haven't known her long enough to say that. She could be a murderer for all we know" Sam said and Steve felt Natasha tense underneath him.

"Sam," Steve said sternly.

"What?" He asked, "She could be a murderer, we haven't seen this side of her before"

"She is" Natasha interrupted and the room fell silent. All faces turned to face the assassin. "She was born of the red room, she lived and trained there. I would be shocked if she hadn't killed anyone." She stared at Sam but he wouldn't meet her gaze. "If she wasn't a murderer then she would be dead. In some way or another, we are all murderers"

The room fell silent once more as Natasha's words sunk in. No matter how harsh they were they all knew there was some truth to them.

"What do you mean by history?" Clint asked after a tense minute, changing the subject and leaning forward. 

"He was the one to torture her in the Red Room, and he escorted her between training and such. Apparently he was never the kindest."

"Sounds like he deserved to be killed," Bucky said and Steve gave him another look. "Not sorry," He shrugged and stared back at Steve.