Chapter 80 - Yelena

For Natasha, this evening felt like some sort of fever dream. She had been kicked off an assignment and then woken up to the announcement that her sister was in the compound, and alive. Natasha wouldn't have believed it unless she had seen it with her own eyes. 

She sat, mug grasped between her fingertips as she watched the rise and fall of the girl's chest. Although she was older, her features were the same and looking at her felt like a breathe of fresh air. 

The girl's breathing became more shallow as she groaned and stretched out, blinking a few times as she did so. 

The last thing Yelena remembered was the feel of her sniper, cold on her palms. She remembered hearing footsteps, almost inaudible. She remembered turning and dropping the rifle as she came face to face with the falcon for the second time, dodging a swing.

Anya called over the radio that she was on her way but before she arrived there had been a flash of red. Then her memory drops off completely.

Yelena stretched out, her limps feeling stiff with sleep. She blinked, expecting to be met with the sight of her bedroom curtains, or Seven's concerned eyes looming over her. However, this was none of that.

The first thing she noticed was the smell. It smelt clean, artificial even. Her eyes adjusted to the luminous lights and she gathered the fact she wasn't in her apartment. Feelings of dread arose immediately. Yelena couldn't be back there. 

It was only when she turned her head the other way that she stopped breathing. Natalia. 

The two sisters stared at one another and Natasha could see it all in her sister's expression. Confusion, relief, and then betrayal. She had always been able to read her.

 Yelena had had this dream a million times. Natasha, Ohio, fireflies. This felt eerily real. It wasn't until she spoke that Yelena realised that this was her reality.

"привет" (hi) The redhead whispered.

Peter watched silently as the world stopped. He saw Natasha say something, but without audio, they didn't have a clue what was happening. Suddenly the blonde was out of bed, ripping the wires from her body, not even flinching as the needles were discarded. He heard Banner sigh beside him.

Peter braced for the girl to come running at the door but to his shock, she turns on Nat.

"Is she going to attack her?" Tony asked, not worried for the redhead in the slightest.

Peter knew that Natasha could handle her own, but the woman was like his second mother. He couldn't help but fear for her.

Natasha braced for a fight, rising from her chair. Before she could put her tea down Yelena had run at her, and thrown her hands around her neck.

The mug smashed on the ground as it fell from her hands. Natasha stood frozen as the blonde held her.

Yelena knew what she was supposed to believe about her sister. The traitor, the liar, the widow. However, in this moment she could only see the young girl who she had cared for so deeply.

The blonde pulled back, and then slapped Natasha in the face.

"Oh god." Bruce muttered from behind the glass. "What on earth."

"It's her sister." Peter explained, ignoring the look the two men exchanged. 

"I hate you so much." Yelena whispered, staring into the eyes of her bewildered sister. "You left me there to die." 

"I know." Natasha replied. She didn't have an excuse for the way she had abandoned her sister, she had always meant to go back, but eventually she assumed Yelena had been entirely brainwashed or she was dead. "I'm sorry" is all she could offer.