Chapter 1 - His Second Vision

The whole point of having these visions was to make it easier to find mates. But how could it be useful if it wasn't happening when they were looking in the mirror or writing their name on assignments? Evan was simply furious. Ever since his first vision, he wanted nothing more than to see through his mate's eyes again. When it finally happened, he couldn't have been more disappointed. No, disappointed wasn't the right word. Annoyed, frustrated, disgusted – those were the appropriate words to describe the situation.

It happened on a random Saturday. There was no indication that he was supposed to receive another clue directly from fate itself. He was currently watching TV when his sight suddenly changed. He didn't notice at first as he was still watching a random movie that he left on until his favourite series started. Evan wasn't looking with his own eyes. The TV he was watching was not his. The cabinet below it wasn't his either. Not only was it missing the awkward little crocheted tablecloth his mom had bought somewhere at the market, but instead of the shelf where they kept the controllers (well, except for Evan, who always left them lying on the couch), there were glass doors, one of them slightly crooked. That was all Evan managed to notice before his vision returned to its original location.

Evan waited a moment. He tried to figure out if he was just imagining it. After all, what a coincidence it would be that they were watching the same thing at the same time. However, it was real. He was just looking through his mate's eyes. All that was left was for him to look through Evan's too. That would really be a paradox. Was such a thing even possible? Evan thought not, but after what had just happened, he wasn't so sure.

His thoughts were scattered. He didn't know if he should continue to doubt, continue watching the movie, or give up on it and go to bed instead. After all, it was already quite late in the evening, and he was already surprised that his parents had left him awake so long.

He still had almost twenty minutes before his series was supposed to start. The silence of the room was broken by yawning. Evan laughed to himself. He wasn't tired just a moment ago. Only he was able to stress himself out so much that he suddenly wanted to go to sleep. Nonsense. Mate or not, Evan decided not to throw away the chance his parents had given him. Not that they were extremely strict (well, his mom was), but Evan was still only 12 years old, and it was only an hour before midnight.

Evan decided to wait for the series. Not only was it his favourite, as he mentioned before, but it was important to his life. Actually, little Evan didn't know that yet. At the time, he just thought it was his favourite one, and that was it. He was to find out later when he realized that not all the characters were straight, and when he began to realize that his confusing feelings were all too similar to Alec's, that it wasn't just that. For now, he just enjoyed supernatural beings - demons, to be specific, imagining that he was one of the hunters. They had cool outfits, dope weapons like whips, swords, and bows, and of course, they had tattoos.

Evan gave one last thought to his mate, wondering if he was also waiting for the series. None of his friends were fans of the demon slayers Evan adored so much. Maybe it would be nice to have someone to watch them with. After all, when you're a kid just before puberty, having lots of friends sounds like a wonderful thing. Lots of kids to play video games with, lots of birthday parties with cake, and of course, lots of people to write homework off of. Mainly the mathematics ones. Evan hated math. It wasn't that he wasn't good at math, he just didn't have the patience for it.

He didn't really have the patience for many things. His mate had yet to find out. He really had something to look forward to. Other than Evan in denial, of course.

Evan sighed again. He was quite tired. His parents used to send him to bed around nine in the evening, so he was long past bedtime. He was not able to think and therefore not even complain about his mate. So, for tonight Evan had no doubts about his mate. Not about his gender, not about whether he even wanted to meet him. He was simply his mate (maybe a potential friend), and together they waited for the series. That was Evan's last thought before he closed his eyes and fell asleep.