Chapter 61 - Hot Chocolate and Family Drama

Evan couldn't stop thinking about his mate.

His mate. How strange how easily he used that word. He promised Ryan that they would talk about their situation (or maybe their relationship) when he got back, but he had no idea what he was going to tell him. They both knew what they meant by the term, and both knew that their ideas couldn't be more different. While Evan had been dreading the moment he would meet his mate all his life, Ryan was looking forward to it. Evan had no doubt that he must have been disappointed when he realized who it was. Although Ryan would definitely say that he never doubted him for a moment, Evan doubted himself. For some reason, Ryan always saw the best in him and it motivated Evan to become the best version of himself. Mates were good for something after all.

Evan grimaced at his own thought. Ryan was not just good for him, but rather too good, though he would never say it out loud. There was only one obstacle left in the way (not counting Evan's broken heart), and that was their future. Their possible future together. Evan had never imagined himself anywhere other than New York and never cared what his chosen one would think of it, but now here he was, ready to trade his dream for a pair of chocolate eyes.

Now he understood exactly Riley's decision because he too was sure that if given a choice, he would not hesitate for a second to say his name. However, in the back of his mind, he still hoped that he wouldn't have to choose.

But his hope was too small. Especially these past few days, as Evan has seen firsthand how toxic his family can be. And he thought that they would be able to spend the holidays together peacefully. Actually, they probably would have if his mother's sister and her husband hadn't decided to visit.

Riley's parents.

They were enjoying Christmas, a holiday based on happy moments in the family circle, knowing that they had driven their only son away from them and practically thrown him out on the street. However, that was forgotten when they rang the doorbell of their house with a smile. It was forgotten when his mom and aunt started hugging each other and enjoying each other's presence. It was completely forgotten when his aunt leaned over and whispered to him how he had grown up and that she was already looking forward to him finding the right girl. Nobody suddenly cared that there was one less of them, and although Evan had endured it in other years, he decided not to participate in this farce this year and locked himself in his room immediately after the unwanted welcome.

"Everything okay, bud?" came from behind his door that day as his father knocked on its wooden surface.

"I don't feel like celebrating," Evan told him after he peeked into his room through the crack of the half-open door.

"Has something happened?" His father frowned but still did not step forward to approach him, silently waiting for his permission. Evan cocked his head to the side, indicating that he could come in, but did not invite him to his bed.

"Do you love me?" instead of answering his question, he asked him his own.

"Of course, I love you," he answered without hesitation but still frowning. This time for a different reason. Which parent wouldn't be surprised by such a question?

Evan let out a sigh. He might have expected such an automatic answer, but he wanted to hear the truth at least once in his life. Even at Christmas.

"Why do you ask?" after his pause, his father picked up the conversation.

"Did you love Riley?" Evan knew he was on thin ice, but he wasn't about to back down. He knew that his father would either redirect the question (although his mother was an expert at that) or call his question absurd and probably leave. Riley's name was simply taboo in this household, and Evan noticed long ago that he was the only one who still said it.