Chapter 106 - His Favourite Cousin - Part 3

"Sorry. You did what?" To say that Riley looked shocked was an understatement. It seemed that every time Evan told him something, he told himself that nothing would surprise him anymore and then his cousin dropped the bomb. Just like now.

"They're my best friends. They've never been to my house. My parents were furious if they even set foot in North Hallson. It took me years to persuade them to let me stay at their house in Marwell. Yet they are still the people I trust most in the world, the ones I can always count on. I felt bad about lying to them," Evan explained and then waited. Even though Riley was no longer part of their pack, he was still a werewolf. And telling someone who wasn't part of their world about their secret was taboo.

"They won't tell anyone," he added when Riley still didn't say anything. When he finally opened his mouth and took a breath to answer, Evan straightened eagerly, hoping for the best, and Riley didn't disappoint him. "Okay."

"Okay?" Evan repeated.

"Mhm. If you trust them, I'll trust them," Riley said, bringing the biggest smile to Evan's face.

"I can assure you that you won't regret it," Evan declared, grabbing Riley's wrist in a frenzy of joy and dragging him into the living room to join his friends.

Riley laughed at his eagerness but didn't protest.

"So you're not mad?" Angie asked the moment they both sat down. "I was eavesdropping a bit."

"Mad? Nope. Surprised? Quite a bit, but I'll get used to it. It's hard enough for me to comprehend that you're not kids anymore," he replied with a small smile.

"If you want a spoiler, Evan broke practically every werewolf rule there is," Angie revealed.

"I did no such thing," was Evan's immediate objection.

Angie's one-word reply was enough to convince him otherwise. "Kieran."

"Okay, maybe I did."

"Who's Kieran?" Riley asked, confused, his eyes darting from Evan to Angie.

"My ex-boyfriend." Evan decided to make no secret of it. For once, he could finally reveal everything to someone in his family, and with each secret exposed, it felt like a weight was lifted from his shoulders.

"Ex-boyfriend," Riley repeated after him. Another piece of information that took him by surprise.

"We dated for about a year," Evan clarified, then quickly added, "We're friends now. We were friends before we got together, so we've come full circle, I guess."

"Does he also know that you're a werewolf?" It wasn't exactly the question Evan had expected to be asked next, but he was happy to answer it anyway. "He does."

"Josh and Rory also know about us. So five people in total. I'll save you some questions," Angie interjected.

Riley paused for a moment and seemed to be thinking about something. Then he frowned and turned to Evan. "That means your mate is a werewolf, right?"

"He is," Evan confirmed. "He's not from our pack, but I suppose you must have met him at least once. He's Michael Saunders' cousin, if you remember him."

Riley laughed amusedly. "Remember? You two always had some sort of beef with him." His eyes shifted from Evan to Angie.

"Yeah, that's changed too." Angie frowned and shook her head as if she couldn't believe it herself. "We're friends now."

And she wasn't the only one who couldn't believe it. "Really?"

"The funny thing is that Michael is actually the one who introduced me to Ryan," Evan revealed. "But yeah, he's one of my best friends now. I'd say I'm at his house more often than my own, and not just because of Ryan."