Chapter 92 - Almost Normal

Although Evan had excellent healing, it looked like his leg needed a few more days to heal. So he had no choice but to borrow crutches from the pack doctor. On Sunday, he visited him on his way to the Alpha's office, where his father had taken him to tell him about the potential threat of wolves near their pack.

Fortunately, it went smoothly, and Evan was able to make his story believable enough. Alpha Lucas made him nervous, but he managed to remain calm and, as with his parents, decided to tell as much of the truth as he could.

However, he now faced a new challenge. Surviving a day at school surrounded by unnecessary questions. And the worst part was that Angie had to go to the dentist in the morning and so had to face the situation alone.

It seemed that his crutches were an invitation for people he barely spoke to to ask him what had happened to him. And he didn't feel up to telling them that he had fought wolves.

Instead, he made up a story about falling down a concrete staircase in his socks and scraping his foot so badly that it bled.

But then he met Aiden and Lola in the hallway, two people he didn't want to lie to and was taken aback by their questions.

"Oh my God, Evan. What happened?" Lola was immediately at his side, her face betraying her concern. Even Aiden's distant gaze faded and the hands that had been on his chest fell to his sides.

"Wild animals," he admitted truthfully, quickly working out how to finish his story without lying to them. "I was out after dark on Friday night, and it turned out that wasn't the best idea."

"Animals? Are you telling me they chewed on your leg?" Lola looked shocked, but he just nodded and shrugged like it was no big deal.

"Sounds worse than it looks," he tried to play it down.

"Should you even be at school?" Aiden seemed to forget their argument for the moment and let his concern be heard.

"Guys, seriously, I'm fine. Kieran and Josh treated me as soon as it happened and then I went to the doctor who gave me crutches. It's not that bad, it just needs time," he explained.

"You were with Kieran and Josh?" The concern on the blonde's face was replaced by surprise. His whole aloofness towards Evan was based on the fact that he was explicitly on Kieran's side, so to hear that Kieran and Evan were spending their free time together must have been more than a little shocking to him.

"Yeah," Evan admitted a little nervously. "We met on Friday and hung out at Josh's house."

"And we weren't invited? How rude," Lola scolded him, but it was obvious that her tone was playful, and she was actually happy for them.

"It just happened." Evan shrugged, a small smile finally appearing on his face.

"So you and Kieran are cool? Totally?" Aiden was clearly having trouble stomaching it.

"We are," Evan replied, though he still couldn't believe it himself. "We talked and cleared some things up."

"Glad to hear it." Lola's tone betrayed that she was genuinely excited. And so did the wide smile on her face.

"You have cleared up some things? How about everything? Did you finally tell him the real reason?" Aiden's tone was accusatory, and it sounded like he was grasping at straws.

"Aiden!" Lola shouted at him.

"It's all right," he assured her, then turned to the blonde. "Actually, I did."

Aiden's eyes widened comically as he didn't expect that answer. Evan couldn't help a small smile, and Lola disregarded him outright and chuckled at his expression, though it was obvious that she was surprised by the news as well.