Chapter 55 - Just A Coffee - Part 2

"I'd like to say that I have a different experience with the people in this pack, but I know exactly what you mean," Ryan sighed. It wasn't the playful atmosphere anymore, and Evan sensed that Ryan had to experience first-hand how antediluvian their pack could be.

As much as he hated that something bad had happened to Ryan, though he didn't know what yet, Evan was selfishly glad that someone agreed with him. He never spoke to anyone about his decision to leave this place once, as he quickly learned that the wolves in this pack idealized life here, and his opinion would be misunderstood, to say the least. But it was different with Ryan, and he couldn't help but be happy about it.

"What happened?" he asked after controlling his expression so that the raven-haired boy wouldn't misinterpret it.

"It'll stay between us, okay?" Ryan leaned across the table to him, and although he didn't whisper, his grimace told him that what he wanted to say to Evan wasn't good. He immediately nodded in response, and since Ryan didn't return to his original position, he too leaned closer to him. He was showing him his support, although Ryan already knew about it since his fingers were still briefly touching his palm.

Ryan sighed again, his eyes reflecting an undisguised concern that Evan couldn't quite place. He couldn't imagine that anyone could be rude to him since he had long since convinced himself that Ryan was too good for this world.

"I don't like how some of the wolves treat Michael. Especially his peers. Like he has some kind of contagious virus that could make their mates disappear or something." He shook his head and his expression changed to one of disbelief and Evan's mirrored it. He never paid attention to Michael when he didn't have to, but he still thought that Michael had many friends among his peers and only teased him when he was very bored. He couldn't believe how far from the truth he was.

"I never noticed," he admitted quietly, suddenly feeling guilty. "They're idiots. I'm surprised Michael didn't say anything." Evan knew first-hand how Michael was able to say exactly what he thought without any filter.

"He pretends he doesn't mind or doesn't see it, but I can see it bothers him. He doesn't have a friend here to be close to. At least not enough to introduce me to him. So, I was surprised when he introduced me to you," he explained. Evan was also surprised. Not because Michael didn't have a close friend, since that position automatically belonged to Ryan, but because he was the first person Michael introduced as a friend. Sort of.

"Well, I can assure you that even if you do happen to leave," Evan didn't like the idea the moment he said it, "Michael will still have friends here. Angie and I will take care of it." And he meant it. If someone had once told him that one day he would consider Michael a friend, he would have laughed at him, but now he considered him a part of his life.

The grimace on Ryan's face finally disappeared and was replaced by a sincere smile. His carelessness returned, and he leaned back comfortably, and Evan automatically did the same.

"I'm glad to hear that. I promised my parents I'd come home for the holidays, and I knew Michael wanted to stay here..." he didn't finish the sentence, but he didn't have to. Evan understood immediately, even though he was focusing on the fact that Ryan was leaving.

"For how long?" he asked in distress. He didn't like the idea of not seeing Ryan every day. In addition, the aforementioned holidays were inexorably approaching, and in less than 2 weeks, Evan was supposed to have the long-awaited break from school. But now it didn't sound so amazing anymore.

"I should be back on New Year's Day," he revealed, and Evan immediately began counting in his head. Their Christmas break was starting on December 24th, and he assumed Ryan's was too, which would mean he wouldn't be seeing him for a whole week. He already didn't like this idea and didn't even try to hide it.