Chapter 12 - His Little Pack - Part 1

Evan slept in later than usual on Saturday morning. Not that he used to wake up early on weekends, but this week, the school was quite demanding. He barely had time for anything other than studying 'cause he had his head buried in books every day. Well, that's not such an accurate statement since he was clearly a procrastinator and often relieved his studying by staring at the wall.

After rolling on his bed and being half-asleep for another 20 minutes, he decided to check his phone. He was too lazy to do anything else.

Surprisingly, it was already past twelve. He wondered how come his parents didn't burst into his room yet. They hated it when he spent the weekend in bed. As if he had something else to do.

With yawning, he finally pushed himself off the bed before heading downstairs. The whole house was unusually quiet. He didn't hear his dad commenting on his favourite talk-show, and his mom's commenting how loud he was, so she could barely hear the TV, which was super weird. It was practically their Saturday routine.

Confused, Evan headed to the kitchen, but again – nothing. It seemed like no one was home. How odd. His parents loved to spend weekends at home so they could hang out with him. As they used to say, he was their only child, and they had to spoil him now because once he'd find his mate, he might move out, and they wouldn't see him as much as they wanted to. It was kinda funny if you'd ask him. Every time someone in their pack found their mate, they moved in together but still stayed with their pack, so they were still basically neighbours with their families. Evan assumed he would end up the same way. Probably not voluntary, but that was a problem for his future self.

The mystery was quickly solved by a sticky note on the fridge.

"I'm pretty sure you weren't listening when I told you, so I'm repeating it. WE ARE ON A DATE. COMING TOMORROW. DON'T THROW A PARTY!"

He sometimes wondered how his parents saw him. Apparently, he was the one who had enough friends in the pack to throw a party. Little did they know, he had more human friends than the werewolf ones. Human friends who couldn't visit him in his own house – how ironic.

Guess it meant no party. What a shame.

But since his parents were out, he thought he should make good use of it. After all, such an opportunity did not arise often. With that thought in his mind, he pulled his phone out of his pocket and opened the group chat they made for their little group from Marwell High School (and Rory, since he moved away a few months ago and was still trying to keep in touch).

"My parents are out for the day, wanna do something fun?" he texted and waited for their response.

The group chat consisted of Angie, Aiden, Lola, Kieran, Josh, Rory, and of course, Evan.

Just as he had most of his classes with Aiden, Angie had them with Lola. The fun fact was that they didn't like each other at the beginning of the freshman year, and it practically took them half a year to finally hit it off. Since then, they were really good friends, and Lola joined them at lunch every day.

Evan had to admit he really liked her too. If he didn't already have a crush on Kieran, it would be pretty easy for him to catch feelings for her. She was nice and outgoing, sometimes too smart for her own good, and she loved fun. She was the kind of a girl you could take both to the party and to church (at least most of the time and she would definitely gossip in it) She was definitely a chameleon, but in the sense that she always knew how to blend in with her surroundings and learn information that otherwise would not have gotten out. With her personality and compelling looks, she was totally bangin'.

Josh, just like Kieran, was a year older than him. The two of them were best friends since middle school and did pretty much everything together. Evan guessed the only thing Josh didn't know about him was the fact that he and Kieran were secretly hooking up. Or maybe he did, and he just didn't show it.

Evan's phone buzzed with a new message.

"Time. For. Party." He read aloud and laughed. Of course, what else could he expect from Lola? In response, he sent her a picture of the sticky note his parents left him.

"Buzzkill." Yep, that girl loved parties.

"We could finally visit you in North Hallson." This time, it was Josh who replied. Yeah, not happening. Evan thought to himself. Having werewolf parents meant that they would immediately know that there were humans in their house thanks to their smell. But try explaining that to a human friend.

"My house is out of the question. Neighbours would definitely snitch on me." He came up with a lie, which wasn't a lie at all. His neighbours didn't like humans in their territory as much as his parents did.

"Stupid old people."

---

Eventually, they agreed on hanging out in North Hallson's town centre. He and Angie went to the bus station, so they could wait for their friends, and luckily for them, they didn't meet any wretches from their neighbourhood who loved to ask too many questions on the way.

Currently, they were sitting on a bench, still having time till their friends would come. It was quite ironic since most of the time they were running for the bus as they fell asleep. And while they were a bad combination in many ways, this was one of the worst since there was no one to make sure they would actually make it to school on time.

"Are you nervous?" Confused, he looked at Angie. Was he supposed to be nervous? Until now he hadn't thought he had a reason to, but Angie obviously had a different opinion.

"Your crush is going to be in your hometown for the first time," she explained as soon as she saw his frown.

"Is it a big deal?" he honestly wondered. He wouldn't see his house or his room, and he didn't think there was anything intimate about a town, hometown or not. His childhood photo album was safe in their living room and his Pokémon card collection was under his bed, so there was nothing to worry about.

"Well, we'll have to take them somewhere, and whatever you choose, he'll think you took him there because you like it," Angie clarified, but it didn't change Evan's opinion. North Hallson was not a particularly interesting place. Besides, every time they met up, they ended up either having coffee or pizza. Sometimes in the library, but only when they had a lot of schoolwork and wanted to be in each other's company.

"Still don't see what the big deal is." He shrugged.

"Not scared he'll judge you?" Angie laughed shortly. Evan gave it a little thought again, but he concluded that Kieran already liked him, so it didn't matter at all.

"Nah."

Before she could make another point, an incomer interrupted her.