Chapter 94 - His Friends

Since Evan couldn't walk very far, and his friends didn't want to split into two groups (and use Michael's car), they decided to go to the café closest to their school. Luckily, they had booths there, so they could all sit comfortably at one table.

There weren't many people there at the moment, so they ordered quickly, and there was nothing to stop them striking up a conversation.

"Hey, Michael," Kieran said to the black-haired boy, who obviously hadn't expected it and wasn't able to hide the surprise that showed on his face. "You're older than us, right?"

At first, Michael just nodded silently, but then Angie gave him a not-so-subtle nudge with her elbow, and he decided to use words as well. "Yes, I'm 19."

"That's cool," Kieran replied with a small smile to show that he was just curious and not trying to judge him in any way. "So you decided not to go to university?"

Michael shrugged and said, "I didn't see the point."

"My parents would kill me if I didn't go to uni," chimed in Aiden, who was sitting next to Ryan. Something Evan hadn't expected but suspected his friends had done on purpose. The blonde didn't seem to mind, but Evan's eyes checked him every now and then to make sure.

"Mine too," Josh joined in. "They wouldn't have minded me taking a gap year, but they were thrilled when I told them I got into NYU."

"So NYU?" Ryan repeated immediately, picking up the topic.

Josh nodded. "Kieran and I both got in. We're starting in the autumn."

"That's great. Congratulations, guys." Ryan gave them both a smile, which they returned.

"And what about you? Do you have any plans about where you want to go?" Kieran asked in return, and Evan automatically turned his head to his boyfriend as well. The future was still a topic they (or at least he) avoided and Evan honestly had no idea what they would be doing in six months when Ryan had to go back to his pack, let alone after high school.

"I'm not quite sure," Ryan admitted, turning his head to meet Evan's gaze, and giving him a reassuring smile, something Evan desperately needed. "I haven't thought much about the future, but my parents wouldn't mind if I decided not to go to university, so there's no pressure on me."

"Enough about school," Lola interrupted suddenly. "We've just left the school gates. Something more fun, please."

"Of course, you want to talk about parties." Aidan rolled his eyes at her, and she stuck her tongue out at him in return. "I never said the word party, just so you know."

"Oh, so you weren't trying to bring Depot into this conversation?" He raised an eyebrow, and the blue-haired girl suddenly looked like the picture of innocence.

"No talk about Depot," Evan interjected. This conversation could quickly turn into one about a certain day that he didn't want to deal with yet, so he preferred to stop it before it started. "If you haven't noticed, I can't really go anywhere right now."

"But your boyfriend can," Lola countered.

"If you really think he'd go anywhere without him, you don't really know him," Michael chimed in before Evan could even think of an answer.

"That's sweet," Lola commented, "I don't know if it's healthy, but it's definitely sweet."

"How long have you guys been together?" Aiden asked suddenly, turning so he could look at Ryan, obviously expecting an answer from him.

"Since Evan's birthday, actually," the black-haired boy replied, returning his eye contact, also indicating in his own way that he would answer anything he wanted.