Chapter 71 - His Birthday - Part 1

"What are you doing here?"

Evan was confused since they hadn't made any plans, and when he told him he didn't want to celebrate his birthday, he seemed resigned to it. It disappointed Evan a little, as he'd assumed he'd be harder to convince or at least want to watch a movie, but Ryan agreed without further questions and changed the subject.

But now here he was, on the doorstep of Evan's house, wearing a black short-sleeved shirt with a black leather jacket over it and looking damn good. And Evan couldn't do more than ogle.

"You didn't think I wasn't going to let you not celebrate your own birthday, did you?" Ryan declared, taking a step forward that made their chests almost touch. It took Evan a long moment to understand what he was implying, as he could barely focus because of the sight of him, but then he stepped back and let him in.

Ryan automatically dropped his jacket and hung it on the rack in the hallway.

Evan's brown eyes followed his every move, and for a moment, all thoughts faded from his mind. He had also thus forgotten what the ink-haired boy had told him.

"You need to change," Ryan said in a tone that suggested he wasn't taking any objections.

With a shake of his head and a clearing of his throat, Evan finally snapped out of his staring stupor, and the meaning of his words finally dawned on him.

"What? Why?" He blurted out the questions, closing the door behind him.

"We're going out," he explained curtly. Looking at him, Evan realistically had no desire to protest, especially when it meant Ryan would be wearing this outfit for a little longer. However, he hadn't forgotten that he didn't like surprises, so he frowned at the vague answer.

"Where?"

Instead of answering, the black-haired boy sighed and stepped closer. With both hands, he gently grasped Evan above the elbows, offering comfort, and then stared intensely into his eyes.

"Stop with the questions. I promise you'll like this. Let me celebrate the first birthday with my mate." At those words and the soft tone Ryan chose, Evan couldn't protest anymore and nodded.

"What should I wear?" He couldn't resist the question. From what Ryan was wearing, he was planning something spectacular, and he didn't want to be underdressed for the occasion.

"Anything that makes you feel great. We're going to have fun. Anything you've wanted to wear and haven't had the courage, now's your chance." Ryan had a knack for choosing his words, as after his last sentence, Evan had a clear picture in his head that included the depths of his closet where he hadn't dared to look in a long time.

"Okay. Wait here." Evan instructed, hoping he would have the same effect on him that he had when he saw him in the doorway. He didn't have Angie here to help him, so he had to rely on his instincts when it came to fashion.

Speaking of Angie, Evan was surprised that Ryan didn't invite her and Michael since they had been doing everything together for the past few months. He knew even more now that it was a special occasion when his mate decided to spend his birthday alone with him.

As he opened the closet, he could clearly hear Angie's voice in the back of his mind telling him to look as sexy as possible. And while at other times he would have chosen to ignore it, this time he agreed.

Ryan looked like a model who stepped out of a fashion magazine, and so he decided to try to match his appearance. Since Ryan was wearing a black shirt, Evan reached for a white one, but with long sleeves. He quickly buttoned up all the buttons and then pulled a black sweatshirt over it, adjusting it so that the collar and sleeve ends were sticking out, which he eventually pulled up to his elbows.