Chapter 40 - His First Party - Part 1

Pigs could fly, hell experienced its first snowfall, and Evan's parents let him go to the party. Only one of those was true. Apparently, Evan could play the dutiful son so well that his parents actually believed it.

Right now, he was at Lola's house, since she lived closest to the Depot and also had a special guest at her house for the weekend.

"I wonder whose phone will ring more during the night," Evan chuckled as Rory handed him the charger. They still had plenty of time before they had to leave for the party, so they were filling it with preparations. One of them was charging their phones.

"I was going to say mine, but your folks are inscrutable," he immediately replied. Even though they hadn't seen each other for a long time, some things simply didn't change.

"Trust me, you don't even know half of it." Despite his words, Evan was not in a good mood. He never thought he would be able to spend the night in Marwell, but now he was here, and he couldn't be happier. Plus, he still hadn't decided where exactly he would sleep, although he always had a place at Lola's.

Rory's phone buzzed with an incoming message. They both looked at it with amused expressions. Apparently, it was Rory's parents who started the phone bombing this early. At least that's what Evan thought until he saw Rory's expression when he picked up the phone. Brunet stared at the display, and it was easy to tell from his look that it wasn't his parents who were texting him. Also, the blush on his face hinted at that, too.

"Is little Rory in love?" Of course, Evan couldn't pass up the chance to pry. When he was Rory's age, everyone asked him about Kieran all the time, and now he had the opportunity to do the same. His friend, however, seemed not to hear his words, still looking at his phone.

"Are you guys having fun?" It was at that moment that the householder chose to return to the living room. Her pink hair was tied on top of her head in curlers, and she wore a cropped shirt. She looked like the stereotypical teen movie mom trying to keep up with her teenage popular daughter.

"Don't know what you're laughing at." she reacted the moment Evan burst into laughter. The sound finally made Rory snap out of his little moment.

"Why do you look like Regina George's mom?"

Evan laughed even more and Lola, though she tried to look offended for a moment, immediately joined him. The three of them were panting from lack of air and one look at the red face of one of them was enough to make them laugh again. Luckily for them, Angie decided to break that cycle.

"Do I wanna know why it sounds like a zoo with sea lions in here?"

Lola was the first to come to her senses to answer her. "They decided to bully me."

Although her answer was absurd, Angie just shook her head and sat down on the couch with them. Lola, who had fallen to the ground laughing, also stood up and sat next to her best friend.

"It's so weird that everyone's in such a good mood," Angie commented. Evan knew that her remark was directed at him in particular but he decided not to deal with it.

"That's because there are no rules in this house. I'm not like a regular mom, I'm a cool mom," the pink-haired girl quoted, receiving a loud cackle from everyone else in response.

"Okay, back on topic," Evan said turning to Rory, "who's the secret crush?" The addressed boy looked at him like he was a fool as if he hadn't seen him blushing over the phone before.

"There's no way. Who haven't you told us about?" The girls immediately focused on the subject as well and all three surrounded the boy waiting for a response.