Chapter 19 - Not him

Morning came sooner than he expected. Last night, he went to bed early in hopes that the sooner he went to sleep, the sooner it would be Monday. Thrilled, he got up quickly and started to pick up clothes for today. Ever since he was with Kieran, he put a lot of effort into choosing clothes and looking good.

Evan has never been a morning person, but since his parents wanted him home immediately after school and didn't let him hang out outside North Hallson at weekends, the only way to see his friends and Kieran was at school. He could still spend time with Angie, but it wasn't the same. That's why Evan worked to get his parents to trust him more and let him hang out with his human friends more often. And until that happened, Evan focused on getting up earlier.

Thinking about Kieran, he snatched his phone from the nightstand and sent him a good morning text. It was cheesy, he knew, but at the same time, he couldn't help himself. Kieran responded right away, and the stupidest grin appeared on his face. He was head over heels for that boy, and even when he was constantly telling himself that it was only temporary, he enjoyed every minute with him. Especially when he knew that in a few months, Kieran would be in another state, and Evan would still be in a small town and an even smaller neighbourhood.

He stood up, preparing to get ready.

First, he headed to the bathroom to rinse his face and brush his teeth and then headed straight to the kitchen. Evan always left getting dressed for last, knowing that with his luck, he would get his shirt dirty at breakfast. He learned from the experience.

His parents were already there, drinking their morning coffee. While Evan had to train his early risers, his parents were naturally morning people.

"You're up early," was the first thing his mother told him. She gave him a quick smile, which she immediately hid behind the newspaper in her hands, sipping her coffee.

"Good morning to you, too," he noted and went for the fridge. It was too early for him to tame his answers. Fortunately, his parents knew him and did not take his tone seriously.

"Right, at least he is the same moody teenager in the morning," his father commented. Rolling his eyes, he grabbed the first thing he saw, which were lasagne leftovers from yesterday.

"Lasagne for breakfast?" His mother didn't seem happy about his choice. He just shrugged, putting his meal on a plate so he could heat it up. He had enough time to enjoy a hot meal and still have time to get ready for school.

"With your appetite, you're lucky you're a wolf." Just as Evan had his bad habit of rolling his eyes, his parents had the same habit of commenting on his behaviour. He was used to it, so he didn't even take a breath in response. Lately, he only talked back to them when they spoke ill of his friends, and that hasn't happened in a long time.

The microwave tinkled, signalizing his breakfast was ready. He swiftly took the plate out, putting it on the table. He hurried with eating since he wanted to be done with this family breakfast. Although he tried to get along with them, he knew that the more time he spent with them, the more chances there were for things to go wrong.

"No one will steal it from you, son. Don't choke," his mother admonished.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," he answered, his mouth full of lasagne.

After his plate was empty, he quickly finished and put the empty plate in the sink. He couldn't care less about washing the dishes. Before his parents noticed, he promptly left the kitchen and ran back to his room, so he could change and prepare his school stuff.

As usual, he chose black skinny jeans with a black T-shirt, putting on a hoodie of the same colour. Casual was his everyday look (and he knew that black was definitely his colour), and he wasn't planning on changing it. At least not with his parents around.