Chapter 16 - Dating

Sometimes the knowledge acquired at school could be used in a completely different way than you expected. Evan didn't like math and counting, but when it came to calculating the distance to where he and Kieran were supposed to meet, he had never counted with such enthusiasm.

Evan couldn't visit Kieran in Marwell and Kieran couldn't set foot in North Hallson unnoticed. Wolves had eyes everywhere and what they couldn't see, they could hear perfectly. So, they had to come up with a battle plan.

Meeting exactly in the middle was Evan's idea. He knew Kieran had a car, so he wouldn't have a problem getting to him and if Evan picked a spot from the side where he could get there through the forest, he could walk that distance like a wolf. Moreover, he could tell his parents that he was going out for a run and he wouldn't be completely lying. It would be a win for everyone. And that's why Evan was now sitting over the map on his phone, looking for the exact centre between his house and Kieran's house.

He was more than proud of himself when he found the right place. He immediately took a screenshot and opened a chat with his not-quite-boyfriend. He immediately wrote back, and the date was arranged. Evan couldn't wait.

...

Before he was supposed to meet Kieran, he was meeting up with Angie. Of course, he couldn't leave his best friend out of the plan. That's exactly why she picked him up at his house with a huge purse in which she hid his date outfit. Of course, after she helped him pick it out.

His perfect plan consisted of three steps. The first involved Angie picking him up at his house, telling his parents they were going for a run together, and setting up everything for him. For the second step, they had to go through the forest. Evan transformed first, Angie attached a rucksack on his back that was the right colour to match his fur, and then she shifted too.

When they got close to the wood line, Angie transformed first, taking the backpack, and taking out everything needed to make Evan look charming. Her backpack was literally the equivalent of Hermione's purse. First, she took out her clothes to change and then his friend's. Nothing over the top, but still enough to highlight Evan's features. His outfit consisted of black skinny jeans, a white round-neck t-shirt, and a plain black shirt, which he threw over and left unbuttoned. On his feet were ordinary Vans sneakers.

Angie then handed him six rings, three on each hand, as she thought guys with rings looked sexiest. They were simple silver with black details. The old Evan would have thought they might threaten his manhood, but today's Evan thought they looked pretty good on him.

Last on the list was his hair, which was more messy than neat, but according to Angie, it was meant to be. It looked like he wasn't trying to look good, but it actually suited him very well. Evan had to admit that he hadn't looked this good in a long time. Mainly because he usually couldn't make it in the morning and would rather sacrifice combing than an extra 5 minutes of sleep.

"So, what do we think?" he asked his best friend. She signalled him to turn around with her hand, and he did so to her amusement. She hummed in agreement, satisfied with her work.

"He'll be charmed." Evan smiled at her answer. He knew Kieran liked him anyway, but he was glad he could look good for him. Kieran deserved only the best in his eyes, and while Evan couldn't give him that, he could at least try for something close to it.

"He's obviously hotter than you, but I almost made up for it. I'm good." Angie gave herself a metaphorical pat on the back. However, Evan did not appreciate her humour and gave her a nasty look.

"You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to you finding someone." He already had all kinds of ideas in his head, with which he could embarrass Angie in front of her future lover. After all, he had years to figure it out. The same years she tormented him.

"Unlike you, I plan to wait for my mate," she assured him. Despite being as rebellious as he was in normal life, when it came to the question of mates, she had a clear opinion. Plus, she liked to say she could still window shop until her time came.

"Don't worry, I can embarrass you even when you're 90," Evan shot back. It was his way of reminding her that mates don't always find each other. They could live peacefully on opposite sides of the globe, and even if they finally met in retirement, it would be ironic, since they wouldn't understand a word the other said.

"I'm pretty sure I'll figure out a way to kill you without evidence by then." Evan should be worried after all the hints that ended with his death, but he knew that Angie adored him too much to live without him.

"With every passing word about murder, I'm beginning to fear you're a necrophiliac." He shivered as if a cold chill ran down his spine. He did it for effect and was proud of himself when it worked. Angie looked annoyed by him.

"Still better than having Michael jerking off to you." Angie's response wasn't a second behind, and Evan's smug smile immediately disappeared. Just as he always had an answer to her every remark, so did she.

"Just what I needed. A Saunders who has the hots me." Evan's face contorted in disgust. Fortunately, he had learned to filter out the sentence, so he wasn't accidentally imagining it. But for the effect, he added: "I think I'm gonna puke."

Angie just laughed at his misery.

...

A gas station wasn't the most romantic place for a date, but Evan couldn't care less. What mattered was that he could finally put his hand in Kieran's and feel his presence on his own skin. And not only his presence. The moment no one was looking, Kieran's lips pressed against his, and Evan was suddenly in seventh heaven.

"I don't know if I've ever been on a more unconventional date," declared Kieran. Evan didn't know whether to take it as a complaint, but judging by his lover's smile, it didn't look like he was complaining.

"An unconventional date for an unconventional couple." He decided to save the day and bring romance into it himself. Evan wasn't exactly the type to hand out roses and chocolates, but he had a way with words when he tried.

Right now, the couple-not-couple was sitting on a picnic table behind the gas station, where they bought hot chocolate in plastic cups. It wasn't exactly the definition of a date that Evan knew from the movies but being in Kieran's presence was enough for him. Plus, he couldn't complain when it was his idea in the first place.

"I like the sound of that." Kieran gave him a wide smile that reached his eyes. And as Evan had clichédly mentioned many times before, his eyes were his weakness. He carefully looked around, but everywhere was empty, so he could allow himself to plant a kiss on his lips. The small kiss quickly turned into a more passionate one as Kieran's tongue tickled his bottom lip, and he welcomed him with enthusiasm. Evan's fingertips dug into the brown waves curling at Kieran's neck, and he placed his hands on Evan's waist in return.

They didn't separate from each other until they were out of breath, and Evan mentally cursed the entire creation of mankind where it was decided that humans must breathe. Oh, yes, he had it that bad.

"I wish we could do this more often," Kieran said in a husky tone. Evan felt the same, but he knew it was his fault that they couldn't. It must have been reflected in his face because Kieran placed a hand on his cheek and gently tilted his face to his. Their eyes were in the same line, locking into the ones opposite, and Evan could feel the blue ones hypnotizing him to calm down.

"Don't try to blame yourself. It's perfect. You're perfect," he told him gently but firmly, pausing for a moment to let his words resonate inside his beloved. "When I can be with you, even at a gas station, I'm happy. And that's the point, isn't it? You and me, happy together."

Evan loved the sound of that. Apparently, both knew what to say to satisfy the other. It was a paradox that kept Evan awake. How could they be perfect for each other but at the same time not be soulmates? Who could be better for Evan than Kieran?