Chapter 8 - His Fifth Vision

One thing Evan loved about being a werewolf was running in his wolf body. While being a wolf he didn't have the same instincts as a human. He wasn't overthinking, he wasn't questioning his decisions, and lastly, he wasn't sulking. He was simply existing, enjoying the nature around him, discovering sweet new smells only a good nose like his could detect. Days like these were peaceful, as otherwise Evan's head was always full of thoughts.

It was the weekend, he was currently in Hills, where no one batted an eye while seeing a wolf running on the street, and he could run around freely. He didn't have to worry about someone seeing him or getting lost even when he was alone. He loved moments like this even though he adored his friends. Angie kept digging into his privates, trying to get a confession out of him, even though she knew it wasn't right. Kieran was the perfect gentleman as always, which confused Evan even more and caused him mental pain. Aiden was a good friend to him, but he couldn't talk to him about everything.

His parents weren't helping either. All they could talk about was pack, pack, pack. Sometimes they were interested in his grades, or how his trip home was, but the topic always ended with the question of when he would have time to devote himself to the pack.

Everything was one big vicious circle from which there was no escape at first sight. Evan knew he could walk away and leave everything behind, but he never had the courage to do so. All he could do was hope that things would get better with time. Whether thanks to his mate or a college scholarship.

Speaking of his mate, he still had no idea who it could be. He kept replaying what he already knew in his head, but it was only vague information that didn't help him in any way. He often found himself comparing them to Kieran. Will they be that nice too? Will they listen to him too? He could only hope.

A few months passed, and his crush on Kieran didn't go away. They both pretended to be friends, sometimes flirting but that was all. They often sat together at lunch, and sometimes Kieran accompanied him to the bus stop with the rest of their group, but otherwise, he didn't do anything that wouldn't be considered friendly. Evan was glad and hated it at the same time. The only thing that could relieve him from these worries at least for a while was his wolf side.

And that's exactly what he was doing now. He ran and ran until the wind in his ears was so strong that he couldn't hear anything, not even his own thoughts.

...

He spent several hours running around aimlessly, shifting only as the sun began to set. After all those years, he was already well trained, so the transformation didn't take long. He quickly took spare clothes from the bushes and threw them on even faster.

He bent down one last time to tie his sneakers, when he realized that he was no longer looking at his feet but at someone's hand. Actually two – two hands. His mate's hand was in the other's tight grip, swinging from front to back. Their fingers were intertwined, which could only mean one thing. It wasn't a friendly act.

Looking through the stranger's eyes, Evan's insides clenched with jealousy. He couldn't believe what he just saw. While he tried to keep his distance from Kieran, his mate had no problem holding someone else's hand. Evan didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Although his mind was currently occupied, the last thing he noticed before his gaze changed again was that the two hands he saw were almost the same size. He knew that hands could be different sizes and that girls tended to mature and grow earlier, but there was still a doubt in his mind that told him that both hands belonged to the same sex. It made him wonder about his mate's gender again. And not only about that.

The ringing of the phone snapped him out of his thoughts.

He quickly pulled his phone out of his pocket only to see his mother's name on the screen. A few hours had passed since he left the house, so it was obvious that she must have been worried. He pulled the bar on the screen and put it to his ear.