Chapter 49 - I Think He Knows

It was the quietest day he had ever experienced at school, and he couldn't have been happier when it was over. After the confrontation, Aiden never spoke to him again, and at the end of the day, he grabbed Lola's hand before she could even offer to walk him and Angie to the bus stop. Suddenly, he was back in middle school, where he had only one friend.

This feeling intensified in him even more when he got off back in North Hallson, and all he saw was an empty space. No one waved at him, no one tried to get his attention. That's right, he ended up hurting both of them.

Angie accompanied him all the way, just like in the morning, and stayed at his home. His parents were home and the moment they heard the front door, their caring eyes were immediately on him. Evan could clearly see how they relaxed when they spotted his best friend by his side.

"You're home early today," he commented. His parents exchanged a glance that was probably meant to be subtle, but Evan immediately understood what it meant. They left work early because of him. As if he didn't feel guilty enough already.

"We didn't have much to do today." His dad shrugged and turned in his chair back to the laptop on the table. Just the fact that he had his things laid out for work in the kitchen said it all.

"Right." Evan nodded and turned his gaze to his mother. She had a mug in her hand with something that smelled like coffee, and his mom barely drank the coffee. She liked to claim that as a she-wolf she didn't need caffeine, as she had enough energy without it. Again, something that wasn't suspicious at all.

"How was school?" she asked before Evan could address her. Her question surprised him, but unlike them, he decided not to reveal anything about his condition. Or at least he could try to.

"Fine." He shrugged like his father and went to the refrigerator. He knew that his mother had been troubled by his eating for the past few days, so he wanted not only to please her but also to assure her that he was better, even though he wasn't.

"Do you want anything?" He turned to Angie, who was still standing quietly in the middle of the kitchen.

"No, I'm fine, thanks." She shook her head, and Evan returned his gaze to the refrigerator. He didn't have a particular taste for anything, but to make his parents happy, he at least chose yogurt. His mom's eyes immediately pierced the cup in his hands, but she didn't comment.

"We'll be in my room just in case," he announced to his parents, motioning for Angie to follow him with a nod.

He was the first to leave the room, but before Angie could follow, his mother's voice stopped her.

"Angie," she addressed her. The brunette turned to her, waiting for her next words. "Take care of him."

"I will, don't worry," Angie assured her immediately. Evan, although he heard their conversation, decided not to join in on it. On the one hand, he was touched by his parents' interest, but on the other hand, he still remembered that he couldn't tell them about his problems or about his male mate.

They ran up the stairs together in silence, Angie's face betraying all her feelings, while Evan's remained silent. He expected that the moment they crossed the threshold of his room, he would be showered with questions. And so it happened.

"Who switched your parents?" she cried out in a whisper. Evan, despite still feeling miserable, chuckled. He had the same question in his mind.

"You know what they are like," he replied dully and automatically walked over to the bed where he lay down. He didn't even have a made bed, since the last few days lying in bed took up most of his day. And although he didn't like lying in the comforters in his normal day clothes, this time he didn't care.