Chapter 86 - The Truth - Part 1

The weekend was approaching, and as the school situation improved, Lola immediately took the opportunity to point out that there was a party at the Depot on Friday. However, no one seemed very enthusiastic about her idea. Maybe it was the fact that they remembered how things had turned out last time, and maybe they just didn't think their friendship had been salvaged enough for them to go out together as a group again.

Evan politely declined, and Angie said she'd reconsider, but she really didn't like the idea of going without Evan. The only ones who looked like they'd agree after all were Kieran and Josh.

All the more reason why Evan shouldn't have gone. He remembered the mark on Kieran's neck well and didn't want to create any awkward atmosphere. He hadn't talked about his new boyfriend in front of Kieran, and he supposed Kieran wouldn't be entirely confident with flirting in front of him either.

So after a long time, Evan had a Friday where he made no plans with anyone, and surprisingly, he was happy with the idea. He hadn't had time to himself in a while now, and he decided to make the best of it by doing what he did best.

His room always looked pretty messy, but when he painted, it was even worse. There were newspapers all over the floor as he'd hate to have to explain the stained carpet to his mom, and Evan wasn't a fan of using just one palette to paint with at the time, so he had several around with different shades on them.

He didn't have a precise idea of what he wanted to express with his art, and he didn't even have any school assignments that he needed to create, so he was guided purely by intuition.

The first pencil strokes created trees on the canvas, and Evan rolled his eyes at his own predictability. What else would a werewolf draw?

Contemplating his own werewolf nature, Evan's strokes began to form the silhouette of a creature. The thick fur, the long snout, and finally the piercing eyes. Before he knew it, his boyfriend in wolf form was looking back at him from the canvas.

Despite the fact that he was alone in the room, a blush appeared on his face.

His and Ryan's relationship was progressing faster than he expected, yet he still managed to blush as if he was thinking of his crush and not his significant other.

Evan shook his head in amusement at himself and returned to the canvas with his pencil.

While his hand moved across the canvas in front of him, his thoughts were elsewhere. He thought of Ryan first, of course, and found that the idea of his two worlds being separate bothered him more than he thought. Ryan could get along with anyone, and Evan had no doubt that this would apply to his friends as well.

A sigh escaped him, and without realizing it, the end of a pencil landed between his teeth. A nasty habit.

Evan hated to admit it, but he knew he was the source of much of his trouble. What was worse though, he didn't know how to fix them.

He'd managed to mend the bond between him and Ryan, and he'd managed to take the first step towards repairing his relationship with his friends, but he still felt like something was missing. He still felt like he was in a minefield where all it took was one misstep, and all progress would disappear with a loud echo.

Lost in his thoughts, he almost overheard a knock on his door. Luckily, his mom knew him well enough to repeat it, and this time, he told her to come in.

"Whoa, someone's got a messy mind," she commented as her eyes fell on all the paint and newspapers strewn across his floor. She was in good spirits, as she always had been lately, and there was a small smile playing on her face that suggested it. He had no idea what had caused it, but he knew that it certainly wouldn't last long, so he tried not to do anything to spoil the peaceful atmosphere that had so far persisted in their home.