Chapter 42 - His First Party - Part 3

"What?" he blurted out in surprise. Maybe it was the alcohol in his blood, but he couldn't control his reaction. The supernatural and his friends have never appeared in the same conversation before.

"Told you it was stupid." Evan blinked. Only now did he realize that he had been lost in thought, completely forgetting that Rory was standing in front of him, still waiting for his next words. His question probably made him feel crazy, and Evan knew he had to fix it fast.

"What? No. That's not what I meant!" His voice was again louder than necessary. He subconsciously leaned closer to Rory and pulled him closer by his forearms. Of course, he underestimated his strength, and Rory slammed into his chest.

"It's okay, E," he murmured into his chest, trying to pull away from him. Evan wouldn't let him go, though, still determined to make it right. Except he had no idea how. He couldn't tell him that he was a werewolf, and thus, he couldn't tell him that he knew about warlocks. He couldn't even correct him for not using the correct term.

Taking advantage of his moment of thought, Rory yanked himself out of his grasp. Evan subconsciously reached for him again, but Rory took a step back.

"Stop with those puppy dog eyes." Evan couldn't help himself. His friend felt bad, and he didn't know what to do. Obviously, he was not the best adept for serious conversations in this state.

"But I want to help," he probably sounded like a little kid. All he had to do was stomp his foot sullenly.

"Forget it, E. It was stupid anyway," Rory sighed. Although Evan wasn't the best at reading other people's feelings, he could clearly see that Rory felt stupid and maybe even embarrassed. He was hugging himself with his arms and his gaze was directed everywhere but Evan.

"It's not," Evan stated flatly. His tone made Rory finally look at him. Evan immediately took advantage of this and continued, "Tell me more."

His friend looked confused as if he had momentarily forgotten what they were talking about. He was probably preparing for different scenarios, but he wasn't ready for one where Evan didn't outright laugh at him.

"C'mon, I want to know why you think that. The facts! Come on!" His gesturing probably looked comical, but it served its purpose.

With another loud sigh, Rory began to explain, "A lot of things happened that I can't explain. At least not logically." Evan was nodding his head, showing his support. After he paused for a moment, he gestured with his hand for him to continue.

"I could have sworn his eyes were glowing. And not just his." After these words, Evan frowned. The wolves were very careful not to draw attention to themselves. They could pull out their claws at any time even in human form, and so could their fangs. And of course, when they wanted, they could make their eyes shine with gold. But they knew how to control it, they learned it practically constantly after their first transformation. To hear someone carelessly show their other side in front of a human was something unusual.

"How?" fell out of him. His tone took on a seriousness, surprising Rory. He blinked a few times before answering.

"Alex's eyes are usually green. Regular green. But sometimes they seem to glow. And I don't mean because he's happy or anything. It's like you turn on a lamp, it's intense, and the light changes the colour of his eyes. Sometimes I even feel like the colours in his eyes were moving. It's like taking an emerald and spinning it in the light." Rory looked unhappy with his explanation like he didn't do it justice, but Evan knew exactly what he meant.

"What else?" Evan asked, completely engrossed in the conversation. It was the closest thing to a conversation he always wanted to have with his friends. He always wanted the thrill of telling someone close to him. Maybe he could trust Rory with his secret. He didn't even live here anymore, what could go wrong?