Chapter 77 - A Trip to the Library - Part 2

After their plans for the next few days were agreed upon, together they moved on to the last book left on their desk. While they hadn't come across anything extremely useful yet, they had still at least come across something they could think about, and honestly, they didn't really need a lot of theories that needed to be confirmed.

Ryan moved to the same side of the table as Evan was this time, and though he wouldn't admit it out loud, his annoyance was almost completely gone in that moment. Having a mate was proving to be the right choice for him every day, and he was surprised that no one had decided to shout it in his face yet. After all, he'd never made any secret of his dislike of fate.

"We'll go through the whole thing, what do you say?" Ryan suggested, snapping Evan out of his thoughts. His eyes moved from a random spot on the table to the book in front of him, and even with a cursory glance at the Table of Contents, he knew it would likely be necessary.

"I seriously don't understand people who name chapters whatever they want. Like seriously, what good is that?" He didn't hesitate to show his aversion in his expression. Evan has read enough books in his short life to know what he did and didn't like. And chapter titles that were named abstractly and absolutely did not reveal what the chapter was about should be banned, in his opinion. Like the plots of books where a bully becomes a love interest, but that wasn't relevant right now.

"It makes you read the whole book?" Ryan replied to his question, though it was only rhetorical. He also didn't seem thrilled with the revelation, but unlike Evan, he didn't show it right away.

"It makes me want to set the book on fire," he corrected.

"How about we find out if there's anything important in it first and then set it on fire?"

Evan turned to his boyfriend with a dull look that clearly indicated he didn't think it was funny, and Ryan returned it with an innocent smile. Evan tried not to give in at the sight of him and almost would have succeeded if Ryan hadn't leaned in and pressed a kiss to his lips.

"You're distracting me," he accused after he opened his eyes again and Ryan smiled at him once more innocently as if he had no idea what he was talking about.

"Am I distracting you, or are you just easily distracted by my presence?" By the way he was grinning confidently as he said this, the black-haired boy knew the answer very well.

"Shut up," Evan mumbled with an eye roll, but he could feel the colour rush to his cheeks. His mate had an effect on him like no one else.

Ryan chuckled in response but didn't protest and shifted his attention to the book. Since it was closer to Evan, he leaned over his shoulder to get a better view. Of course, this also provoked a reaction in Evan, and he mentally berated himself for how easy it was for him to lose focus in the presence of the ink-haired boy.

"Love?"

"What?" Evan automatically turned his head in his direction, not realizing how close they'd just been, and so found himself just inches from his lips.

"If you can concentrate, next break will be for a make-out session," he promised, and Evan nodded immediately. He didn't even try to hide his excitement at his suggestion and promptly turned his head back to the book.

Ryan chuckled but didn't comment further, leaning in to get a better view.

Evan cleared his throat to find his lost voice again and then said: "We'll start from the beginning and always try to find some keywords on the page to see if it's worth reading the whole thing. I'll read the right side, you read the left, and if you want to stay on that page, just speak up. What do you say?"