Chapter 2 - His Third Vision

Evan could finally proudly call himself a teenager. From today on, no one could consider him a child or, in the case of his pack, a wolf cub. Little Evan was born thirteen years ago today, on the eighteenth of February. The first child of his parents and at the same time, the last. His mom liked to call him their little miracle. Not being able to have children was something unimaginable for wolves, but his parents were one of the unlucky ones when it came to making children.

And not just them. Apparently, it was in the genes, as his aunt Emily also had only one child, Evan's cousin Riley. Better said, Evan's favourite cousin and family member even though he was six years older than him. Evan thought of him as his older brother. So, of course, Riley couldn't miss Evan's blowing out the candles on his birthday cake.

With a huge smile on his face, Evan stood surrounded by his favourite people. Angie on his right, Riley on his left.

"Make a wish!" Riley nudged his side gently, smiling widely. Evan returned his smile, almost shaking with excitement. From his last birthday, he counted the days until he would finally be considered almost an adult. Well, at least in his eyes, thirteen was an important age. From this day on, his life could only change for the better. He could get his first kiss, he could meet his mate (since he started noticing his peers more), and his parents would finally allow him to do more things he was considered too young for before. Maybe Riley could take him on his next school trip instead of Evan just hearing about it. He always thought Riley's school trips were so much cooler than his.

Evan's face was illuminated by the bright light of the birthday cake candles as he bent down to blow them out. With a deep breath and a secret wish in mind, Evan closed his eyes and exhaled. The candles went out, leaving behind a soft smoke. Evan's eyes opened again, and you'd think the lights from the cake had moved to his irises. He was really happy. He almost didn't know what to wish for, but eventually, he came up with something that would improve his young life. He wished he could be as happy as he was right now forever. With Angie and Riley by his side, without having to fight with his parents, with new books to read all the time, and of course the chance to become at least as badass as his favourite demon hunters. However, not all wishes always come true, but Evan was to find that out later.

"Who wants some cake?" Evan's mom immediately took on the role of hostess, and paper plates began to circulate around the room. Of course, the birthday boy got the first one.

Evan took a bite of the chocolate cake, savouring the taste. Sweets were his addiction, but he couldn't care less. With the metabolism of a wolf, his appetite didn't matter. He could eat chocolate all day, and all the calories would still go straight to the muscles. Speaking of muscles, Evan's began to tingle in anticipation. You know that feeling when you know something is about to happen, but you don't know what? In the case of wolves, that could only mean one thing.

Evan's eyes focused on the carpet below him. He knew that it wouldn't be long before his sight moved elsewhere, and he didn't want to unnecessarily alert those around him. Especially his parents.

Evan was right. One moment he was studying the burgundy threads on the carpet, the next his eyes were studying the paper in front of him. He quickly understood that what he was looking at was homework, specifically an essay, as he had received an almost identical assignment at school last week. Unfortunately for him, the author's signature was missing from the paper. Still, it was something as Evan finally got a clue as to how old his mate was. Maybe they were even peers. Evan liked the idea, although he still wasn't sure if he liked the idea of ​​the mates themselves.

"What are you smiling about?" Evan was suddenly back. He could almost swear that this vision was gone sooner than the ones before, though it was impossible. He would never have thought that he would be sad at the thought.

"And the smile is gone," Riley noted.

"Sorry," Evan apologized immediately. Although he tried to keep his vision a secret, he knew he could talk to Riley about anything.

"What's wrong, kiddo?" Riley asked, noticing that Evan was quieter than usual. Not that Evan was talkative, little Evan was often shy to talk in front of people, but in the presence of his favourite cousin, his mouth never stopped.

"I've already had three visions of my mate," Evan admitted.

"That's good, isn't it?" Riley's question made him think. Not that it was a bad thing, but Evan still wasn't sure about the first vision. He knew what he saw, but he didn't know what to make of it. He was already at an age where he knew that things didn't have to be necessarily black or white, or for that matter, just girlish or boyish. His mate could have been a girl who simply liked football. But for some reason, Evan didn't believe it.

"What if my parents don't like who I end up with?" Evan voiced his biggest concern. He loved his parents, but in most cases, they did not agree with each other. His mom often thought she knew what was best for him, not caring what Evan himself thought. And that always pissed him off. Evan was known to have no problem raising his voice, although he often had trouble talking to people.

"They will. Don't worry about that. They know that our mate is the person that loves us the most. They wouldn't let you miss on something like that, trust me. It has never happened that parents did not support the relationship between mates. Mates are pure. The love is pure. There's no need to worry." Little did poor Riley know that he would be the first example of his claim not being exactly true.

"You promise?" Evan's eyes turned to him hopefully. Riley never lied to him, so when Riley said everything was going to be fine, Evan had no reason not to believe him.

"Promise." Riley smiled at the boy at his side, staring at him with a warm look. Just as Evan thought of him as an older brother, Riley thought of him as a younger brother whom he would forever protect. Although he was a nineteen-year-old teenager who was about to find his mate, he knew that no matter what, he would never let anything come between him and his favourite cousin. Evan needed him, and he needed Evan. Who knows what their lives would be like without each other.