Chapter 89 - The Truth - Part 4

His heart was pounding, and Evan put his hand to his chest to calm himself. His anxiety was still rising, though, and he had a feeling it wouldn't be long before it turned into panic. It took him a few seconds to realise that even though he was nervous about this conversation, all these emotions weren't just his.

Ryan must have felt his pain and probably tried to contact him but to no avail. Evan's phone was still lying next to the pile of his clothes in the bushes where he had left it.

"Are you okay?" Kieran's voice snapped him back to reality, and he nodded automatically before realising it wasn't true. His hand was still clutching his chest and he knew he had to do something before Ryan had a heart attack.

"Can I borrow your phone?" he asked Kieran, knowing he wouldn't ask unnecessary questions. And he was right. Brunet immediately took his phone out of his pocket, unlocked it, and handed it to him without hesitation.

Evan mumbled a quick thank you and started punching in the numbers from memory. He'd memorised Ryan's phone number a long time ago and it paid off.

It only took a few seconds for Ryan's voice to come over the phone, and just as Evan had expected, he sounded out of sorts.

"Hey, it's me," Evan said right away and heard Ryan let out a relieved sigh on the other end of the call.

"Oh, thank God," Ryan responded, and it was audible that he was relieved. "I felt your pain, and you didn't pick up the phone. I was at your house, but your mom told me you went outside."

"I hurt my leg," Evan admitted, quickly adding, "but it's okay. Kieran and Josh took care of it. I'm fine, really."

If Ryan was concerned that Evan had gone running like a wolf and was suddenly with his human friends, with one of them being his ex on top of that, he didn't let it show. Instead, he sounded reassured by Evan's words and confirmed it verbally, "Okay. You got a way to get home after? If you're going home. I'd just like to see you and make sure you're okay."

"I'll send you the address, and you can pick me up in an hour," Evan suggested. One glance at his friends assured him that they didn't mind, even though they had no idea who Evan was on the phone with.

"Are you sure? Not that I don't want to, but..." Ryan paused, and Evan was surprised at first by his uncertain tone and words, but then it dawned on him. Ryan was giving him a chance to think it over, knowing that Evan was still giving Kieran space and not purposely showing up around him with his new boyfriend.

"Yeah, I'm sure," he confirmed. He had an hour to make sure everything was all right, and he had to try hard not to screw it up.

"Okay," Ryan agreed and then added, "Can you reassure me that you're okay? I need to hear it again if I'm going to calm down."

"I'm perfectly fine," Evan assured him in a soft but firm tone. "Don't worry about me. I'll see you in an hour. Until then, you can get me my clothes, if it helps you clear your head," Evan suggested, biting his lip. He didn't want to ask him for a favour, but he also knew that Ryan wasn't going to be completely calm in that hour, even if he claimed to be.

"Okay, I can do that," Ryan confirmed, sounding a little calmer.

"Thank you," Evan thanked him in a gentle tone and added, "I have to go. If anything, Angie will definitely be happy to see you."

"Maybe I'll pay her a visit," Ryan muttered, clearly thinking about it.

"Okay, see you later," Evan said goodbye and waited for Ryan to say the same before ending the call.

When he moved the phone away from his ear and the end of the call appeared on the screen, he wordlessly handed the phone back to its owner.

"Thank you," he said, and Kieran nodded, but looked as if he was considering saying something. In the end, he clearly gathered up his courage as he asked, "That was him, wasn't it? Your mate."