Chapter 40

I opened my eyes and stretched as light peeked through the curtain, I rubbed my eyes yawning.

Sometimes, I can't wake up in the morning cause I'm lazy and that was my lazy day.

I laid there and faced the ceiling, thinking about what had happened the day before.

'There's no way Sean ran away because of some stupid cheating incident, there has to be something more' I thought to myself.

"What are you thinking about?" Ethan asked, half asleep.

"Oh nothing, it's just weird to have a vacation after almost a month of working non-stop" I lied.

"No, you're thinking about something else, your eyebrows were furrowed in a weird way. You only do that when you're thinking about something you can't figure out" he replied.

I sighed and then laughed, when did he get to know me so much?

"You're thinking about your brother, aren't you? Don't think of that bastard anymore, he's not worth it" he continued.

"Well, yeah. My brother is a jerk but, I don't think he ran away just because he got cheated on. There has to be something else, he would've just spent his days in the gym or coming up with dances then forcing me to perform them. That's the way he deals with bad things, he isn't the kind of person who would run away without trace" I said, furrowing my eyebrows once more.

Ethan just kept quiet next to me, thinking about the whole situation all over again.

Suddenly, a thought erupted in my head that struck me like a lightning.

"Weren't Matthew and Dave brothers? Dave cheated on my brother around the time Matthew was 14, I also remember Beth saying you guys got into a fight with him. Isn't that right?" I breathed out.

Ethan sat up and looked at me, this realization sinking in.

"From the faint memories I have of Matthew, he was mentally unstable and his father encouraged his psychotic behavior. He used to torture animals to death and bring them to me to try and scare me, my brother always chased him away and no one could do anything cause he was a child at the time" I continued.

"Being that mentally unstable doesn't disappear overnight, even if he got help, which I doubt he did, he'd still have psychotic tendencies at the age of 14. Maybe he tried to get revenge on you by making Dave cheat on my brother?"

"But, what does that have to do with anything?" Ethan questioned, confusion written all over his face.

"Don't you understand? No one knew I lost my memories, he probably thought we were still friends, maybe he even thought we were together. Dave cheating on my brother would make him sad and I'd be too busy taking care of my brother I'd neglect you so you'd feel left out. It's a stupid idea but it's still a possibility, maybe he was planning on reaching out to me and saying it was your fault my brother got cheated on so I would hate you. That's the only possibility I can think of right now" I said.

"Your way of thinking is scary but it makes sense. But, weren't you living in different places all over the world, how was he going to go with his plan?"
he asked.

"You do realize that there is something called technology, right? He probably thought we kept in touch, wasn't that enough for him to make us hate each other?"

"I suppose that makes sense, how did Dave and your brother make their relationship work?" he asked again.

"My brother would visit him sometimes, they kept in touch and talked on the phone a lot. I think Matthew talked to my brother a few times and since Sean couldn't tell him I lost my memories he probably told him I still had them and that we were friends"

"Your intelligence never ceases to amaze me" a familiar voice spoke.

"Sean? What are you doing here? How did you get in?" I asked in disbelief.

"Oh, I just told the receptionist I was your brother and showed proof and she let me in, giving me the key to the room" he explained.

I just stared at him, not knowing whether to be mad or not. My new assumptions and ideas could be right, which means it wasn't entirely his fault but.... what was so serious that would force him to run away?

"I can hear your brain working from hear Jane" Sean continued.

"You were really close to figuring out the truth. Color me impressed! Honestly, might as well tell you everything now, right?" he said, his smirk similar to Ethan's.

I looked at Ethan who stared right back at me.

"Well then, you better explain yourself" I said threatningly.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I made this chapter a bit short because I wanted it to end as a cliffhanger since the actual explanation of the brother would take too long. I also changed up the ex's name from Dean to Dave because Dean sounded like Sean and I was not going to let that happen.
What do you think of the what unraveled in this chapter? Do you have any theories? Please let me know in the comments! It's one of my favorite chapters to be honest cause a lot of shit went down and I'm here for it.

-Alexandra Banger