Healing

I wrote this on my birthday (May 3rd) bc I was off school so purrr, Anygays enjoy the chapter :)

This is a song fic, the song is "fix you" by Coldplay.

Hawkins High School
April 1986

"So, I have your grades here and apparently you are flunking all of your best classes from middle school," Ms Robinson offered as a conversation starter, it was no good though. She wasn't going to talk.

The schools guidance counsellor was a black woman who often wore bright colours and floral scarves. Max liked her.

The thing is, she had never actually spoken to her before.

"You have sat in that chair for 8 months yet you've never said a word to me. You're processing everything and I understand that, perhaps just a single word could help me understand how you are feeling?" She offered her a kind smile.

Maybe she was right. Maybe talking with a professional could help?

"How about your friends? Apparently you've become distant with them"

It's true, Dustin and Mike joined some stupid d and d club. They were like a cult to Max and that fact didn't really appeal to her. She was close enough to the Byers but it takes a lot of strength and resilience to keep a strong relationship with someone when you're nowhere near them. Strength and Resilience that Max didn't have after the mall. Lucas though? Well Lucas  was her rock. He listened to her when she wanted to talk and when she didn't he simply held her while she cried. He was patient and gentle and offered her kind smiles from across the hallways in school. He had joined the basketball team not even a month after moving up to high school and he was an amazing addition to their team. When he had brought the idea up to Max when their first day of school was over she was delighted that he had found something that he enjoyed outside of the party. So, day in and day out Max watched Lucas train in his back yard and sometimes at the old worn courts near his house. She would smile encouragingly as he readied himself to shoot then cheered and clapped for him when he would inevitably get the ball in the hoop.

She knew nothing about basketball but he meant the world to her and he loved doing it so she watched from the sidelines and admired him.

She was snapped out of her thoughts by the voice of the woman sitting across from her. "You okay Maxine?"

Right. She had never told the woman she preferred Max because out of spite, mostly for the school board who, after the death of her brother, deemed her "unstable" and "unfit" to be back at school without help "readjusting". So she refused to talk in the sessions.

"Okay, perhaps we could talk about your brother," this made her heart drop. She had never mentioned Billy in their sessions knowing it would take a while for Max to get there and be ready to talk about it. But in that moment she couldn't help but crumble.

"I can't imagine how you must feel"

A tear unwillingly rolled down Max's cheek. The older woman had seen it so there was no use in trying to wipe it away or hide it.

"How are you feeling?"

When you try your best but you don't succeed.

"It Hurts"

When you get what you want but not what you need.