I'd Just Die to Make You Proud

The taste. The touch. The way we love.
Little teeny tiny bit spicy towards the end, no smut.

Prom Day 1989.
The Byers Residence

It was the early afternoon as Max, Suzie and El were preparing for prom while Will watched them from El's bed. He laughed at them as Max struggled to fix both of her friends' eyeliner. They had all been asked to the prom by their respective boyfriends and were currently doing their hair and makeup. "I can't believe you actually agreed to wear a dress, makeup and you're letting us do your hair!" El gushed as she wrapped Max's hair around the curling iron, she rolled her eyes.
"I wish I hadn't." She groaned as she felt suzie poking eyeshadow onto her eyelid.

"You're gonna look great!" Wills stated, teasingly. She stuck her tongue out at him as he leaned back against the headboard. She opened her eyes to see the white and silver eyeshadow that suzie had put on her eyes, they matched the silver necklace and earrings that El had put on her. All she could think about was Lucas and if he would like it or not, he had never seen her like this. What if he hated it? Or worse, What if he preferred her this way?

Soon, it was almost time to leave and Max, Suzie and El watched as Will disappeared into the bathroom to put on his suit. He came out wearing his navy suit and had his freshly cut hair styled neatly, the girls cheered as he gave them a shy spin and sat next to them on the bed. El got up next and entered the bathroom with her dress in hand. When she came out, she was wearing a pink satin dress with a frilly neckline and a big bow at the back. She had her hair up in a bun with a few curly pieces free accompanied by pink flats and white frilly socks to match. The girls and Will cheered for her as she gave them a twirl, her dress fanning out as she did.

Once El sat down, Suzie stood up, grabbing her dress and walked away into the bathroom. When she emerged, she was wearing a light yellow, flowing dress that came just past her knees. The dress had spaghetti straps and a small flower on the waist. Very Sandy from Grease. Her hair was down and wavy, resting on her shoulders. She did a fast spin and sat down quickly while the others cheered her on. They all turned to Max as she took a deep breath. No one had seen her in the dress yet, she was terrified. She stepped into the bathroom, holding her dress in a bag.

She pulled the dress on and stared at herself in the mirror. It was a knee length white dress with lace all over it, it cinched in at the waist and flared out slightly. She had been sure to not get one that was too poofy, she was out of her comfort zone enough as it was. Her hair was half up, half down and curly. She didn't think she'd like herself in something like this but she found herself hoping that Lucas would like it. She slipped on her white socks and small white heels and walked out of the bathroom with a deep breath.

She was met with stunned silence when she entered El's bedroom again. She looked up at them as she they stared at her in awe. Suddenly, they began to scream and surround Max, complimenting her and talking about her dress. She smiled slightly at them as she patted herself down. "We ready to go?" She questioned, turning to the door. The boys were waiting downstairs as their partners began to descend the stairs. Mike smiled at El and kissed her cheek, saying something about her being beautiful as the pair walked back to the others.

Suzie and Dustin held hands quietly as they watched Will and Chris hug silently, squeezing each other tight. The group and their parents watched the stairs in anticipation as Max walked down slowly, careful not to trip over her heels. Lucas quickly realised what was happening and rushed to help her but found himself stuck at the foot of the stairs. She looked stunning. He was convinced he had never seen a more beautiful human.

He gulped slightly as she approached him, she was smiling shyly at him. She was clearly nervous. He looked over to his friends and gestured for them to talk amongst themselves to take the attention off of her. She thanked him softly as she held her arm out so that he could put the corsage full of white flowers around her wrist. She patted herself down self consciously before looking back at him, "what do you think?" She asked, giggling slightly as he stared at her with his mouth open. "Do you not like it?" She teased, smiling at him widely.