The Sleepover

Heyyyy I'm updating for once in my damn life!
New writing format btw 😊
Bad language in this chapter 😼
Set in 1988
Max's POV

Ever since El told us about Hoppers lakeside cabin he and Joyce had bought we've been begging them to let us go. After much convincing He finally let us stay for a long weekend.
I'm interrupted from my chain of thought by a car horn outside. "Have fun Maxine, stay safe!" I heard my mother say.
"It's Max," I murmur under my breath As I leave. Hopper says a quick hello before grabbing my suitcase and telling me to sit next to Lucas.
"Hey!" Lucas says as I sit down next to him.
"Hi," I say as I kiss him on the cheek. I hear Dustin groan in disgust which earned him a pillow to the face from Lucas. Dustin sticks his tongue out at him as Hopper climbs into the drivers seat. Dorks.

Lucas's POV
For the first two hours of the ride we all danced around in our seats and sang along to music. As the first beat of 'I wanna dance with somebody' plays throughout the car I see Max's eyes light up as she starts to sing the words quietly. I smile to myself she's so darn cute.
As Hopper stops for Gas we get out of the car for some air. As we got closer to the gas station I noticed Max got more and more agitated. There's something off with her today I think to myself as a I watch her walk across the parking lot towards the woods. I decide to follow her. "Hey, you okay?" I ask her as she sits down on the sidewalk.
"Yeah It's just been a tough ride that's all," she replied.
"Are you sure? You know you can talk to me right?" I ask as she lets her head drop to focus on the floor.
"My mom and Neil had an argument last night," she continued, "it got physical then they somehow ended up in my room..." she trailed off.
"Then what?" I asked, trying my best not to be pushy but I need to know.
"Neil asked for my opinion on something and I said that it's wasn't my place," she pulls the bottom of her sweater up to reveal a huge bruise that  takes up half of her stomach, "he didn't like that very much."
"Oh Max are you okay?" I said again trying not to frighten her. She simply nodded her head and continued.
"Yeah, my mom tried to stop him but he wouldn't listen..." she trailed off.
"Well hey! How about we make This the best weekend of your life?" I suggest.
"Yeah?" She looked around like she wasn't quite sure if he was being genuine.
"Yeah," I assured her, she smiled.
"You really are the best," she says, the look on her face is unexplainable. She's gorgeous, her freshly washed hair looked like a halo and it perfectly framed her face. She's just the most adorable thing in the world, of course, I'd never admit that to her.

Another hour of dancing and singing in the car passes and we've finally arrived. We run inside and the place is  absolutely HUGE, it has a balcony that looks over the living area that's open to the kitchen and dining room. There's a chandelier above the couch and a giant rug on the floor. I look at Max, who is clearly impressed too, and smile. She looks at me, squinted eyes, a weary smirk and her nose is scrunched a little. She really is the most adorable person ever.
All of a sudden she grabs my hand and runs upstairs the others following suit. We look at the doors which have little stickers on them telling us who's staying where. Will and El share a room (of course Hop doesn't want her with Mike), Lucas with Dustin, which leaves Max and Suzie. Mike decided he'll stay on the spare bed in Lucas and Dustins room. I look at Maxs face as she frowns. She grabs my hand and pulls me into a bedroom marked 'Suzie and Max'.
"I wanna share with you," her eyes glued to the ground. "It'll make me feel safe." She explains.
"Let me talk to Hop, I'll see what I can do," I say as I walk out of the room and down the hall.

Hopper's POV

I'm unpacking our bags into the fridge when I see Lucas coming down the stairs. I expect the others to follow but it's just him.
"What's up kid?" I ask with a smile. I've always admired that kid, the amount of strength he must have to put up with all the bullying El told me about. He looks at me.
"I'm just gonna get straight to it...uh," he looks baffled like even he doesn't even know what he's gonna say next, "about the sleeping arrangements." Ahhh,now I get it.
"Kid those are for your safety I don't want anything happening on this trip that someone isn't ready for or something happens that they didn't want," I trail off, I can tell he gets what I mean.
"Hop it's just- Max..." he visibly questions himself. He's obviously about to tell me something he shouldn't. "She had a rough night last night, she didn't get much sleep because her parents were arguing and she didn't feel safe. It would make both of us feel better if we were together," he explains. He looks me in the eyes again clearly hoping for a good outcome.
"I don't know kid it isn't fair on the others If I let you," he cuts me off.
"You do know they're gonna sneak around in the middle of the night anyways, right?" He said almost innocently. I don't wanna argue at this point, I think.
"Fine," I say reluctantly, he smiles wide, I'm glad he's happy at least. "BUT, no funny business and I'll have to swap the others around too.