Could That Be Us?

You're not getting a summary sorry, read to find out :)

The Sinclair Residence
May 19th 1988
4:37pm

"Hey guys!" Lucas spoke with fake enthusiasm as his neighbours, the Campbells, walked through his door. In their arms was the devil that was about to make the next 7 or so hours of his life a living hell.

Jackson Campbell. Their baby.

When his mom told him she couldn't babysit because Erica had a dance competition out of town she had been willing to pay him if he did it for her.

So there he was, in the middle of his living room listening to Jackson's parents's very detailed list of rules.

"Alright we ought to go now darling" Michelle said, standing up from her spot on the couch. "Lucas thank you for doing this."

"It's really no problem."

And with a quick nod they left him alone with the child. When Lucas turned around to look at him Jackson was already staring up at him with a huge smile and wide eyes. Okay, this can't be too hard right?

Wrong.

Around an hour after his parents had left the baby had started kicking and screaming, Lucas whispering comforts to him. He tried feeding him he refused the bottle, when he tried giving him his pacifier he spat it out, and when he tried rocking him he kicked him in the face. Nothing was working.

He contemplated calling someone for help, his first thought was Steve but him and Robin had taken Dustin and Mike to a bike park outside of town so that wouldn't work. His only other thought was of Max, she had mentioned babysitting before and even if it was just once she had a hell of a lot more experience than him.

"Hello? May- Hargrove Residence Max speaking."

"Hey Maxie, it's Lucas listen I need your help."

"You need my help?"

"Mhm, I'm uh...doing something for my mom and I need your help."

"Do I hear a baby crying?"

"Yeah it's the neighbours, can you come help?"

"With what?"

"Babysitting."

"Oh..."

"You don't need to it's just there's literally no one around so..."

"Oh ok I'll be there soon."

"REALLY???" He cleared his throat, "Alright I'll see you then."

She chuckled before uttering a quick 'bye' and hanging up.

About twenty minutes later there was a knock at the door, barely audible over the still crying baby.

"Come in!"

"I could have been a burglar you know."

"Mhm but you weren't."