I Bet on Losing Dogs

One of my headcanons is that Lucas has anxiety I just think that it suits his character. So this chapter is pretty much that headcanon in writing. Chapter based on the song I bet on losing dogs by mitski.

I just want to clear up that another one of my my head canons is that Lucas is the eldest in the group. his birthday is in january and he was born in 1971

Hawkins High
February 1986
8:50am

Lucas smiled slightly as he walked through the halls of Hawkins High. He held his head high, oh how jealous his younger self would be of him right now.

He had made the varsity basketball team after only one try out. Coach had pulled him aside before telling him that he saw something special in him. Now he was just living his life, effortlessly making his way through high school. Well, that's how it would seem to anyone else.

Inside Lucas was a huge ball of anxiety. He second guesses every decision he makes. His past with the upside down and the lab ensured that he didn't trust anyone very easily. No one looking in from the outside could tell how traumatised the 15 year old truly was. He was seeing the guidance counsellor Ms Kelly, granted so were Max, Mike and Dustin. Mandatory counselling to make sure the kids fully recovered from that fateful day at start court.

"Hey man you good?" Patrick asked, wrapping a comforting arm around him. Only then did Lucas notice he had zoned out. His smile had faltered, the sounds of people chatting and lockers clanging as they were being opened and closed muffled as he reminded himself of the previous year's tragedies.

"Y-Yeah, just a little out of it today." He lied.

"Alright, well we have early practice today so you get to miss out on Chem," he tried to cheer him up.

"Thank god. Mr Saltzman's so racist, he's always picking on me." He sighed.

Patrick patted him on the back. "Cheer up lukie,"

"Do not call me that," he laughed.

"Aw so your girlfriend and your sister can call you that but I can't?"

"For the record I do not allow either of them to call me that but they scare me so I have no choice."

They laughed together as Lucas caught a flash of orange from across the hall. He smiles slightly.

My Baby, My Baby

She had just opened her locker and was looking through it for something, the locker door blocking his view.

You're my baby, Say it to me

She was wearing jeans, a beige turtleneck sweater and brown boots. He smiled to himself.

Baby, My Baby

She stepped back slightly and he could see that there was a thin black hairband in her hair.

Tell your baby that I'm your baby

Patrick was smirking at him as he gawked at her.

I bet on losing dogs

As she closed the locker door she caught his eye from across the hall, smiling at him widely. Her eyes squinting and dimples showing.