Charades

Maxs dad visits Hawkins.

The Hargrove Residence
June 27th 1987
6:30pm

Max giggled to herself as she walked through the front door, still thinking about the date she had just been on. Lucas always found a way to make her feel safe and happy. Very few words to describe the way she felt about him. Love. Contentment. Trust.

"Goodnight MadMax."

His final words to her that night still ringing in her head she stepped into the bathroom. When she was finished showering she threw on a bath robe as she walked to her room, slamming the door shut and flopping on her bed.

Suddenly there was knocking at the door.

"Just a minute!"

She scrambled to get clothes on. She found sleep shorts and one of Lucas's sweaters on the floor. Perfect.

As she neared the door she could see the figure of a person in the dark through the small window in her living room.

"Who is it?"

"I have a delivery for you!"

"At 6:30 at night?"

"Yup, it's a big one. Around 6' 4, light brown hair, blue eyes. Ringing any bells?"

Max ran to the door and flung it open.

"Dad!" She yelled as she jumped up and hugged him.

"Hi, sweet pea." He smiled.

"What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to surprise you."

"Consider me surprised then."

He chuckled.

"Come in, come in."

"Where's your mother?" He questioned as he wiped his feet on the doormat.

"God knows."

"God knows? When was the last time you saw her?"

"Few days back, her and Neil always do this. They'll be back, eventually."

"My god, look at you. You're all grown up."

"I know it's been a while dad." She said sadly.

"I wish I could have called you more but you know how your mom is with her rules. And since she's more financially stable than me she could easily beat me in court and stop me from seeing you altogether. And I don't think either of us want that." He explained as he examined the house, noticing multiple dents and cracks in walls.

"What's all this?"

"Neil gets angry a lot." She winced.

"So he punches the wall?"

"I wish."

His head whipped around to face her, faster than she thought was even humanly possible.