Waking Up

Silence.

Darkness.

There was no feeling. No thoughts. There were no memories.

He opened his eyes. Getting blinded by bright lights. He closed his eyes again quickly. Trying again, he opened his eyes slowly. Adjusting the light what blinded him the first time. Everything was blurry. He couldn't get his eyes to get a clear vision.

He turned his head, looking around. Thoughts came into his mind. Where was he? What was he? Who was he?

He glanced around the room. It was a white room. No windows. No furniture. Not even a door. Only something that vaguely looked like a small cabinet. He couldn't see what was in it.

He saw himself laying on a bed. He tried sitting up in his bed, but there was no movement in his body. He could only turn his head from side to side.

At one point something that looks like a male figure came in the room. The figure wore a white coat. He looked at the figure walking in from what looked like an invisible door. He presumed the figure was a man. The man saw that he was awake, and walked towards him. The man didn't say anything. The man took a little flashlight and shone it in his eyes. After he wrote some things on a clipboard he was holding.

Was this guy a doctor? By the things he was doing, he probably is. But why was he here. Was he in a hospital? He didn't feel sick or didn't feel any pain. He didn't feel anything.

The doctor walked to the cabinet and took a syringe out of it. Walking back to him, he looked at the doctor with wide eyes. He was trying to speak. He wanted to scream for help. What was happening? No words came out of his mouth. Not even a sound. The doctor injected it in his neck. He felt his eyelids go heavy. Everything went black. He fell asleep again.

~

"Please. Don't go"

"Stay with us"

"Don't close your eyes"

"It will be alright"

"Open your eyes please"

"You have done well, child"

~

He opened up his eyes once again. He still was in the white room. His vision was clear this time. Now he could look around to see the cabinet full of different kinds of medical stuff. There now was a chair in the room as well. It looks like a dentist chair. Why would that be here? How did they put it here? How long did he sleep?

This time, he could feel his body. With some trouble, he went sitting in the bed. His pillow behind him to support him. He looked at his arms. They were full of cuts and dots of injections. What did they do?

A small bald man came in again. He could now see the 'invisible door' clearly. But it was only visible if you know it is there. The man walked up to the bed he was sitting in. Looking at him, the man was taking notes. He couldn't read any of it. The man had some weird goggles and a big mustache.

"Hello Maru" The man spoke.

Maru. Was that his name? No. The name was given to him. He could feel it. But he don't remember his actual name. Or anything from before he woke up in particular.

The man began to speak again. "You can call me doctor. I am here to help you. And I have been here the whole time to help you. In case you wonder. Do you have any questions before I am going to explain things?"

Maru wanted to say something but when he moved his lips, no sound came out. He pointed his finger at his throat. Signing he couldn't speak.

"Hmm a mute one. We don't see that much here. Don't worry, I have a solution."