Chapter 4

Gwen rose to sunlight directly in her eyes. She looked around, seeing only Edmund, Susan, and Trumpkin. Where were Lucy and Peter?

A yell sounded and Gwen looked at Edmund. "What was that?"

Sounds of metal shrieking came next and Gwen jumped up. It sounded like sword blades. Gwen quickly strapped on the belt that held her daggers.

"What's happening?" Susan asked. 

"Let's go find out." Edmund strapped his sword back on and went running, the others following.

They hurried through the woods and came upon Peter and Lucy, who were not alone. 

"Peter!" Susan cried as she saw the scene before her. Peter had a large rock in his hand, poised to strike another boy that stood in front of him. He stopped at her voice.

Gwen stepped closer to Lucy, seeing all of the strangers around. Her shoulders hunched and she directed her gaze to the ground.

There was the boy who looked to be a little older than Peter, and others were creatures, all types of mythical and normal animals. Were they not all wild?

"High King Peter?" the boy asked.

"I believe you called," Peter said.

"Well, yes, but I thought... I thought you'd be older," the boy said.

 He must have been the Prince Caspian Trumpkin had spoken of. 

"If you like, we could come back in a few years..."

"No. No, that's all right. You're just... You're not exactly what I expected." The prince turned to look at the rest of the group and his gaze stopped when it reached Gwen. She swallowed but held his gaze until he looked away. 

"Neither are you," Edmund said, uncertainty lacing his tone. 

"We have anxiously awaited your return, my liege. Our hearts and swords are at your service." A mouse said as it walked up. "I am Reepicheep, at your service." 

Gwen's jaw dropped. This place was truly magical. 

"Oh my gosh, he is so cute," Lucy whispered to Gwen. She smiled, holding a laugh back.

"Who said that?!" Reepicheep turned.

"Sorry," Lucy said.

"Oh, uh, Your Majesty, with the greatest respect, I do believe, 'courageous', 'courteous', or 'chivalrous' might more befit a knight of Narnia," Reepicheep said. 

"Well, at least we know some of you can handle a blade," Peter said.

"Yes, indeed," said Reepicheep. "And I have recently put it to good use securing weapons for your army, sire."

"Good. Because we're going to need every sword we can get." Peter said.

"Well, then you will probably be wanting yours back." Prince Caspian said, extending Peter's sword back to him.

 Caspian's gaze traveled back to Gwen and she looked away, wondering if there was something wrong with her that he was staring so much. Yes, my hair is probably a mess from sleeping but is it bad enough that he's staring at me? Or...does he...

No, she dismissed that thought.

Someone like him could never find me pretty, she thought. 

Peter led the way as every creature and person left the clearing they had been standing in. Gwen stayed next to Edmund as they traveled. 

"Where are we going, do you think?" She looked at him. 

"Probably their fortress, or whatever they're using for one." He glanced at her. "Are you okay? How are you holding up with all of this?"