Chapter 35

It was the day. 

Gwen woke to peaceful music playing. She sat up, seeing Tamera playing the flute. 

"Tamera, that's beautiful," she groggily said. 

"Thank you, My Lady. It's custom that a bride hears the playing of a flute as she wakes to put her good spirits."

She smiled as she fell back onto the pillow. "I don't need music to be in good spirits, I'm already so happy and excited!" 

Tamera giggled. "Here's something to break your fast. It isn't much since you will be feasting later." She placed a silver tray of fruit, nuts, cheese, and a goblet in Gwen's lap. "I'll be back soon; I'm going to fetch your dress." 

"Thank you, Tamera," 

Gwen took a sip from the goblet, humming as the liquid warmed her throat. 

As Gwen finished eating, Tamera returned with her dress. "It's time for you to get ready." 

With a breath, Gwen stood up and began the process.

A girl in Gwen's small entourage came in to help make sure Gwen was ready in time. Her name was Lydia. 

"Oh, I wish the Pevensies could be here," Gwen sighed as she ran her hands down her dress.

"Whom, my lady?" Tamera asked. 

"Oh, the Kings and Queens of Old. They're my closest friends. But I know I have them here with me in my heart and mind." 

She sat as still as she could as Lydia began to fix her hair. She learned it was customary there to leave your hair down on your wedding day. Lydia placed a gold circlet that resembled vines and flowers woven together on top of her hair. 

Tamera placed a necklace that matched the gold circlet and had a blue gem inside around her neck. Soon, she was ready to go. 

"The King is ready for you, Lady Gwendolyn," Lydia announced. 

Gwen took a breath in. This was it. Her dreams were becoming reality. In less than twenty minutes, she would be Caspian's wife. 

~~~

Caspian fidgeted anxiously as he waited for Gwen out in the hall. He couldn't wait to see her. He couldn't wait to make her his wife. The months they had been forced to wait through had been nearly as bad as the three years without her. 

But that all was over. Today was the first day of the beginning of their lives. 

"Your Majesty, Lady Gwendolyn," 

Caspian quickly turned, seeing Gwen walk through the doorway. 

His breath left him. 

She was absolutely beautiful. 

She wore a blue dress and white veil that covered her growing raven hair, which took him aback even further. 

She was wearing the same thing that he had seen her wear in his dream from Aslan. 

She looked like a true queen. 

He started forward, meeting her halfway. 

She looked up at him, a timid air about her. "So, what do you think?"

"You are . . . absolutely . . . beautiful." 

She smiled. "Thank you. I'm quite happy that I'm finally going to be your wife." 

~~~

She saw how his expression dropped at her words. Had she said something wrong?

"Caspian? Is everything alright?"