Chapter 9

Caspian and Gwen ran to find one of the Pevensies. They found Edmund standing in the main room, polishing his sword. 

"Ed!" Gwen yelled, catching his attention. 

He hustled to them. "What are you two doing together?" His brow scrunched in confusion. 

"Never mind that," Gwen said. 

"Miraz is approaching with his men. We saw from the ledge. Where is Peter?" Caspian asked. 

Edmund's eyes filled with panic. "I'll go get him. Go back to the ledge and watch. We'll be up there in a moment." 

Edmund sprinted off and Caspian and Gwen hurried back to the ledge. It wasn't long before the Pevensies arrived along with a few others. 

Narnians were gathering below the ledge too, watching the alarming spectacle.

Everyone spared glances at each other, worry evident in each individual's eyes. Caspian and Gwen glanced at each other. His fingers brushed the top of Gwen's hand. 

Comfort flooded through her at the touch. She didn't understand how or why, but it did. 

"Call a meeting," Peter said to Trumpkin.  "Just for a few of us."

~~~

"Cakes and kettledrums. That's your next big plan?" Trumpkin asked. "Sending a little girl and my niece into the darkest parts of the forest? Alone!"

"We'll be fine, Uncle." Gwen insisted. 

"I just found you, Gwendolyn, I'm not losing you now. I've been against this idea since it was brought up." 

"It's our only chance," Peter said. 

"And she won't be alone," Susan said. "They'll watch each other's backs." 

Trumpkin walked over to the girls.  "Haven't enough of us died already?"

"Nikabrik was my friend too. But he lost hope. Queen Lucy hasn't. And neither have I," said a badger.

"For Aslan," Reepicheep said.

"For Aslan," 

"Then I'm going with you," Trumpkin said.

"No. We need you here." Lucy placed a hand on his shoulder. 

"Lucy's right, Uncle. You're a wonderful archer. You'll help much more here." 

Trumpkin looked down, seeming to give in. 

"We have to hold them off until Lucy and Susan get back," Peter said. 

"If I may," Caspian started, standing from his seat.

Everyone turned toward him. Gwen felt her cheeks heat.

 "Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer...but as king, he is subject to the traditions...and expectations of his people. There is one, in particular, that may buy us some time."

"What is it?" Peter asked. 

"It's quite simple really. A duel between Peter and Miraz, until one gives in or...one dies."

"Dies?" Gwen asked, horror filling her. The thought of her best friend dying sent chills down her. 

Caspian looked at her. "Yes. Dies."

"How would we get the message to Miraz?" Peter asked. 

"Edmund and some other Narnians will go to his camp and present the challenge, carrying olive branches. They stand for peace. That is so they will not get shot down."