Chapter 34

Gwen searched the library for a book the next day to entertain herself with and to also clear her stressed mind. Once she found one that sounded interesting enough, she made her way back to her chambers.

On her way, Caspian found her in the hall, taking her by surprise.

"Caspian." she smiled.

He leaned down and planted a kiss on her forehead. "I don't have much time before I have to meet with my council because of last night's event, but I wanted to find you. How are you today?"

"I'm well enough. Just a bit troubled. And you? You seem quite tense." She rubbed his arm.

"It's nothing. Don't worry about me,"

Gwen chuckled. "My king, you aren't good at hiding your feelings. You're stressed; exhausted even I'd say by those circles under your dear eyes. Last night hasn't done any of us well, it seems."

He looked down, smiling. "You can see right through me, can't you?" He sighed. "Between Calenmore being stripped of his title earlier and being shipped out, the lords pressing over treaties and laws, the neighboring kingdoms--"

"Our wedding?"

His expression said it all. He didn't want to admit that aspect, but she knew it was adding to his burden. "It isn't our wedding. It's the lords trying to convince me to not have it. They want us to wait longer. Proper etiquette and such."

She looked down. "I thought as much."

"But, trust me, Gwen, it's going to happen whether they think it should or not." He took her hand in his, gently running a finger down her cheek. "In four days you will still become my wife. Then I'll take you to the Winter Palace, where we can finally be away from everyone; the lords, our servants, everyone. Just you and me. But of course, the servants will be there, and guards but no one from here."

Gwen looked down, smiling and nervously biting her lip. "It sounds . . . absolutely wonderful. And to think I'll be on my honeymoon on my birthday. So many good things are happening."

"And I hope it will be the best birthday for you yet."

"I do have one question; it's Winter, so why aren't we there, and us come here for honeymoon?"

He chuckled. "It does not make sense, I know. It was built as a place for getting away in instances like this, so I am not quite sure why it is called such. We have always lived here."

"That is quite weird." 

"I must go now, but I'll see you later, yes?"

"All right. I love you,"

"I love you too, Gwen."

They parted, and Trumpkin found Gwen.

"I heard about Calenmore and what happened. Are you well? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't know how. Caspian just found out last night too if that makes you feel better. I'm so sorry, I should have told you, Uncle."

He embraced her. "It's alright, girl. I know how hard it must have been for you."

"Insanely," she whispered as a tear rolled down her cheek.

"Well, now I just want you focusing on that weddin' of yours coming up. I'm so proud of you."

She smiled. "Thank you, Uncle. You'll be there won't you?"

"I wouldn't miss it for the world,"

"I'd ask you to give me away, but it seems that they don't do that here."