Chapter 37

Gwen stood in front of the wardrobe, trying to pick out a dress. The chamber door opened. 

"Caspian, which dress do you think I should wear? I can't decide." 

"Happy birthday, darling,"

She turned to see Caspian holding a tray, grinning from ear to ear.

She gasped, seeing the food on the tray. "Oh, Caspian, thank you! Oh, this looks positively delightful!"

"Today, we're taking it easy and doing whatever you feel like. I hate that you were already awake, I was going to kiss you and wake you up that way." 

She laughed. "I'd have felt like Sleeping Beauty if you'd have done so." 

His brow quirked. "You're a beauty no matter what you do." 

She couldn't help but laugh again. "It's another fairytale I would read in England. The prince kissed the princess, waking her up from her sleeping curse."

He hummed in curiosity. "What a tale,"

"It's one of my favorites,"

Caspian adjusted his grip on the tray. "I brought my own food up here as well."

"Well, let's sit at the table,"

 They both sat down at the standard-sized table in the middle of the room.

"I've been told that it's warmer out today. How would you like to go ice sliding?"

"Ice sliding? What is that?" 

"You strap on a pair of blades to your shoes and slide across the ice. It's quite fun. It was discovered a few months ago."

"Oh! You mean ice skating! Yes, I'd love to, I've never tried before."

"Right. Well, as soon as you're ready we'll head out to the pond."

After they finished eating, Gwen planted a kiss on his cheek. "Thank you. That was really good."

"I was hoping so. I had the cook show me how to make it."

Her eyes widened. "You made it?"

He scratched his neck, not meeting her eyes. "After five attempts, I finally got it right."

She burst into laughter. "Oh, love! You shouldn't have!"

"I had to do something special for you. It's your birthday. I have to somehow make up for all that I've missed." He pulled her close.

"Thank you." She embraced him.

"You're welcome,"

~~~
"Okay, now how do I do this?"

He helped Gwen to her feet as they came onto the cleared pond.

Caspian stepped onto the ice, still holding Gwen's hands. "Step out onto the ice."

"I'm nervous,"

"No need to be, darling. Let's have a go."

"You know, that's quite an English phrase. If I knew any better, I'd say you're picking up my accent." 

He bobbed his head. "I have lost some of my accent since I became king, but not too much." 

She stepped onto the ice, immediately feeling her ankles turn in. She wobbled.

"Caspian!"

"Don't worry, I've got you,"

Her feet shook as he pulled her along.