Chapter 11

Gwen awoke to sunlight streaming through the glass window pane of her room in Caspian's castle. She could get used to this.

Today was his coronation day. He would be King of Narnia. 

And she would be going back to England soon. 

Gwen pulled back the soft comforter and untangled herself from the sheets. She found a gown hanging on a door of a large armoire, waiting for her. 

It was a deep scarlet, with silver trimmings around the waist, the neckline, and the ends of the sleeves. She smiled at its beauty. 

A knock on the door sounded and she wrapped a shawl that had been lying at the end of the bed around her. She opened the door to a young woman standing with a silver platter with food sitting on it. 

"Hello, miss, I'm Tamera, and I will be helping you get dressed." she nervously smiled. "This is for you, to break your fast." 

Gwen was taken aback. "Oh, um, thank you. Please come in," 

Gwen laid the shawl back on the bed, while Tamera sat the platter down at the vanity set. 

"Would you like to eat first, or dress, miss?" 

"Um, dress, please if that's alright?" 

"Yes, miss." 

Tamera must have helped dress noble ladies for a long time, as it only took her a few quick minutes to have Gwen completely dressed. 

"And there we are. You're ready, miss." 

"Thank you, Tamera. Have you had anything to eat?" 

Tamera's gaze fell to her feet. "No miss, servants don't eat until our morning jobs are completed." 

Gwen looked at the poor girl. She had to be hungry by now. 

"Well, that's going to be different today. I would like you to eat with me."

"No, miss I couldn't." Tamera's eyes widened. 

"Yes, you can." Gwen smiled. "And, please, it's Gwen. I'm not royalty. I'm just Gwen." 

Tamera's unease began to fade and she smiled. "Thank you." 

Gwen returned it. "You're welcome. Now, let's hurry. I think Prince Caspian's coronation is going to start in an hour or so." 

~~~

Caspian paced in his chambers, nervous over the next few hours that was to come. He was going to be crowned King of Narnia. 

It would be no easy task, that was for sure. He glanced up at the portrait of his father hanging on the stone wall. 

"How I wish you were here to teach me," he whispered. 

A knock sounded on the door. 

"Yes?" Caspian replied. 

"Your Highness, it's time to meet with the Kings and Queens of Old. You have twenty minutes until we start the procession." 

"Thank you. I'm coming now." Caspian strapped the belt on that carried his sword. He glanced up at his father's portrait one last time. He hoped he could make him proud.

He wound down the stairs to the main hall where they would be waiting. As the guards opened the doors, he saw his friends. Then he noticed Gwen. 

He stopped in his tracks, having trouble taking a breath. 

She was speaking to Lucy, a smile on her face. Her dark raven hair had been plated back and a small crown of woven flowers rested atop her head. She was dressed in a deep scarlet gown that rested off her shoulders, curved in at her small waist, and the color highlighted her tanned skin.