Chapter 15

Gwen's thoughts swirled. Being around Caspian again had made her feel more alive than she had all year long. By the way he looked at her and treated her with such respect and honor, she truly believed he cared for her, even if it was strictly platonic.

She knew her feelings for him were deep, but she wasn't sure if she loved him. She hadn't known him long enough or been around him enough to love him.

But then, the saying was true; absence does make the heart grow fonder. Perhaps her feelings had morphed to love, and she just didn't know it.

She shook her head, trying to clear it as her brain swirled. She just focused on Caspian and Edmund sword-fighting.

It was a little mock duel, trying to see if Edmund still had his skill.

She smiled as she watched the crew cheer on the two. As they kept on, they came to a tie. Gwen and the crew cheered.

"You've grown stronger, my friend." Caspian said.

"Seems I have," Edmund said.

"Alright! Back to work!" Drinian shouted. The crew quickly obeyed and went back to their jobs.

Gwen stood as Caspian approached her and he grabbed a cup of water from her.

"Thank you,"

"Your skill never ceases to impress me." she said.

"Your beauty never ceases to take my breath away from me."

"Caspian," she blushed.

He smiled. She could have melted.

Gwen looked behind Caspian, something catching her eye. Eustace was on the deck.

"Oh, dear, their cousin's back." Gwen moaned. "He seems very unpleasant, don't you think?" She sighed. "Oh, I shouldn't be so critical."

"You're not, you're stating truth." Caspian turned at the exact moment Eustace began to complain again. "Do you want to go over there and see what we can do to help?" His eyebrow cocked.

"I think we should."

Caspian and Gwen made their way over and Eustace ran into Caspian, saying something about being kidnapped.

"Kidnapping, is it?" Caspian asked, clearly amused at Eustace's ornery disposition. "That's funny. I thought we saved your life."

"You held me against my will!"

At the comment, Reepicheep scoffed.

"In, what I must say, are the most unhygienic quarters. It's like a--a zoo down there!"

"He's quite the complainer, isn't he?" Reepicheep said.

"He's just warming up," Edmund muttered.

Eustace turned to Gwen. "And who are you? How do you know my cousins?"

"Gwen Brookes. I'm a good friend," she said.

His face scrunched in disgust. He opened his mouth to say something, but Caspian stopped him.

"If you're going to say something rude to Gwen, you may want to rethink that."

Eustace's eyes widened and he closed his mouth.

Gwen looked up at Caspian. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"Land ho!"

Caspian slowly began to smile. He took Gwen's hand, pulling her behind him and up the stairs to the ship's wheel.

"Caspian, what--"