Chapter 6

Everyone was present in the stone table room as Peter began the meeting.

"It's only a matter of time. Miraz's men and war machines are on their way. That means those same men aren't protecting his castle."

"What do you propose we do, Your Majesty?" Reepicheep asked.

"We need to get ready for it--"

"To start planning--"

Caspian and Peter gave each other a look as they spoke over each other. 

Gwen and Susan shared a look. "What is his problem?" Susan whispered.

"Peter or Prince Caspian?" 

"Peter," 

"I don't know," Gwen whispered. "But it seems that he has to have full authority in these situations." 

"You aren't wrong." 

They turned their attention back to the scene before them.

"Our only hope is to strike them before they strike us," Peter said. 

"Crazy. No one has taken that castle--" Caspian started.

"There's always a first time," Peter cut him off.

"We'll have the element of surprise," Trumpkin said.

"We have the advantage here!" Caspian said. 

"If we dig in, we could probably hold them off indefinitely," Susan added.

"Look." Peter focused on Caspian. "I appreciate what you've done here, but this isn't a fortress. It's a tomb."

"Yes, and if they're smart, the Telmarines will just wait and starve us out," Edmund said. 

"I think you know where I stand, sire," Reepicheep said to Peter.

Peter turned to Glenstorm, one of the leading centaurs. "If I get your troops in, can you handle the guards?"

Gwen noticed the exchange of looks between Caspian and Glenstorm. 

He bowed his head. "Or die trying, my liege," 

Gwen also noticed how Caspian's features fell at the centaur's words. 

"That's what I'm worried about," Lucy spoke up.

"Sorry?" Peter turned to her.

"You're all acting like there's only two options. Dying here, or dying there."

"I'm not sure you've been listening," Peter said. 

"No, you're not listening." Lucy pressed. "Or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch, Peter?" 

The expressions of everyone in the room conveyed some sort of shock at the young queen's words. Gwen concluded from recalling stories she was told, it was Aslan who had saved Peter and finished off the Witch. 

Peter's features hardened, causing Gwen to worry. What has gotten into Peter to make him so cold and hard? What has made his reactions so callous lately?

"I think we've waited for Aslan long enough," Peter said. He turned and walked out. 

Everyone looked at their neighbor. No one knew what to do after Peter's actions. 

"Warriors," Glenstorm raised his voice. "Gather your weapons and make ready. We leave out as soon as possible." 

The crowd began to disperse and Gwen caught Caspian before he left.